Out of video memory in UE5 ? Whaat

i switched to “Virtual Texture Support” and my whole Landscape was compleeetly wrong after the Cache build…

so i delete it to re-do it…
all good, how ever when i add a water/Lake it freezes(the whole PC/Windows) and after pop up MSG box saying
“out of video memory to allocate a rendering resource”

Im running 2x vega64 16Gb on one…
No waaay, memory leaking or what ?

[EDIT] Landscape is (4081x4081) but shouldn’t matter as i have been working with this fine,
i previously 2 days ago created 2-3 lakes.

Now on the new landscape(same size), don’t mention anything to do with water…

That’s a phat card. Is this a huge level with a ton of objects? Even with nanite on the geometry I think were still bound on texture memory? Maybe too many 4k images? But that still shouldn’t be happening unless you were doing something ridiculously crazy. Maybe it’s a corrupted driver?

it is all very weird… Yes there are quite some object at the moment but that did not affect it yesterday, i do not yet use Nanite on any meshes, i have scaled down Textures appropriatly to 2K MAX and most are 1024 and smaller object 512.
Total actors [3451] but that includes the Landscape streaming

i record my progress so i can edited them at later time. my latest video
Here is a video from yesturday showing off the cafe i build:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IjWob1r7u0

its a Raw upload directly from Radeon recorder, even youtube recognizes it was hitting 60fps…

i raised the mem buffer to 3200 as i was getting low mem pool, which is understandable…
but anyhow as you can see its running completely harmless… (it was)

the game is Running at 1400p at 60FPS, the next day i implement LOD’s which got my game to 100fps with the VEGA 64 card at 1400 on EPIC settings…

But tooooodayy, it all went heyhwire after that problem with the Landscape now the whole scene is lagggy

this also occured after enabling the “Virtual Texture Support” and it Re-Build the textures…

I encounter issues with virtual textures often. I haven’t had the time to troubleshoot them if I can disable them. I’m sure it’s caused by how I have some assets configured, but I’m not pinching for texture memory at this point. That might have something to do with it… This is a large landscape you may have too high of a landscape resolution for that size of a terrain and by adding those extras might have put you over the top. There’s not such a quick fix unfortunately if that is the case. You could try reducing your shader complexity on the landscape material and see if that cuts out the issue and maybe see what your options are from there… Perhaps disconnect your normal maps real quick and check if that helps? Those are notoriously huge. You could try setting the textures to shared wrap.

1 Like

yeah i have spend some time getting rid of normal’s i wouldn’t need, roads were casting shadows …
reducing more textures and got it down fairly good.
As my roads textures use a lot of calculation and are Modular roads,what is the best way to handle the textures, add them to the virtual textures or ?

I haven’t been using virtual textures so much so I couldn’t really say about those. I find that although you have a ton of options for textures, they can eat into your project pretty quickly and a lot of times they aren’t necessary unless you need minute detail close up.

I ask myself whether or not something really needs all the extra instructions. For instance, does this object need ambient occlusion or specular or specific roughness? You can get away with just using simple textures and normal maps in a lot of cases where objects don’t need much detail and maybe not even using a normal map like on perhaps a background mountain way off in the distance obscured by fog…

If you’re not concerned with it being shiny at all you can set the material to “fully rough” and save some instructions on it there as well. You wouldn’t need to plug any textures or scalar parameters into the roughness to get full roughness. You can go crazy, but most the time you don’t need to unless you’re going for specific effects. Just my 2 cents lol.