Orientation problem when applying upward velocity

I am having a problem where using “Orient Rotation to Movement” in my character settings causes my character to revert to its default orientation when i apply movement in only the upward axis. Setting it to “use controller desired rotation” fixes this, but screws up my character movement, affixing it permanently to the camera angle. How can i fix this without applying forward velocity?

Example and breakdown of this buggy behavior here:

If someone could please help me with this unintended behavior, that would be great

By “your character revert default orientation” do you mean the mesh is facing the wrong direction?

You could check to make sure that what your mesh thinks is “forward” is the same as what the whole actor thinks is “forward.” To do this, just go to the mesh’s details panel and adjust its rotation and see if that changes anything.

Did you watch the video? I thought i explained pretty clearly what was going on…

By default orientation i mean the original direction the character is facing when it spawns. Regardless of which angle the character is currently facing, it will always spin around to face that exact direction whenever i apply upward velocity.

Actually scratch that, never mind, i even rotated the character start point so it spawns in at a different angle and it still rotates to that same direction as before. Not sure why it likes that direction so much… maybe its the Y+ direction? Some kind of unreal true north?

Sorry, I can’t watch Youtube on this computer.

And yeah rotating my skeletal mesh doesn’t fix the problem it only makes it so his back side keeps flipping in that direction instead of his front

Hmm…Have you checked/unchecked “controller rotation yaw” in the details panel? That seems like something that causes problems with movement for a lot of people.

Oh. Well the crux of it is that applying character movement in only the Z+ axis somehow causes my character to flip around and always be facing the same direction when “Orient Rotation to Movement” is enabled. Even though there is literally no movement in that direction to orient to. For some reason it is taking exclusively upward movement, and assuming the forward vector for that movement is always Y+, regardless of whether i pull that up vector from “get control rotation” or not.

So you are trying to fly up the Z axis but it thinks you are moving along Y?
…yeah, I’m stumped too then.

All I can guess is maybe you could make another input in the project settings and try making something else be your Z axis input? I think this is out of my current range of knowledge.

yeah those are all unchecked but checking them gets me essentially the same results as when i enable “use controller desired rotation” instead of “Orient Rotation to Movement” under the character movement component. Which is to say that it fixes the orientation issue, but causes me the inability to have my character walk right and left without always facing in the camera direction. Except “use controller desired rotation” fixes this problem more smoothly wheras using the controller rotation only causes it to spaz out a bit as it constantly tries to reorient itself to Y+ and then back to the controller rotation instead of just overriding it completely.