Optimizing UE4 to run on older machines as well

Greetings everyone

I would like to suggest to the development team, to consider optimising UE4 for older machines as well (dual core computers with older graphics cards); so that it can attract a lot of people, including those who consider technologies like Blender, or Unity a better option, based on hardware specifications. I am willing to contribute with code and ideas for such an endeavour, if you guys feel like doing it it, even though right I am trying to actually come up with a mean of using UE4 in mobile mode development with scalable graphics, and using my android phone for dealing with pre-visualization of the games. and who knows doing the same thing people in crytek do allowing consoles likes ps4 or xbox one to be used to render the games. that’s all

cheers

I’ll echo this request :slight_smile: While new and shiny is great the lower the hardware requirements the larger the market. Not an issue for hardcore games perhaps but many of us will be focusing on broader markets.

Are you saying anyone would use Blender instead of UE4 because of hardware specifications? :wink:

What is “older machine” ?

UE4 might require a higher end mid range PC to develop on, but it will run on less powerful PC easily.

I have tried running UE4 games (ark, ut4) on a Core 2 Quad q6600 with a GTX 570 and 8 gigs of ram, it had massive lag to the point of being unplayable. I echo this request as well.

Optimization would help the mid-high level as well. Furthermore, it would also help with things such as mobile and VR where frame rate increases are always useful.

There’s always going to be more optimization to improve performance, since it will benefit everyone. But there are cases that the standards they are trying to make are above the hardware that people have, and in those cases it’s not worth the effort to try and support older hardware since few people would benefit from it.

We have a 2D turn based strategy game that we are unable to run on older machines. So this is a huge concern for us. Those who play our demos on old laptops or PCs tend to get this error: GameThread timed out waiting for RenderThread after 30.00 secs

Are there any optimization tools to help us port to older PCs?

You should have started a new thread - not bumped a three-year old one.

It’s incredibly difficult to help you without inspecting the project itself…

One of the important things: nativize blueprints if you used heavily. Or move systems and anything that frequently updated to C++.

Something that foliage doesn’t drag the FPS down.