Optimize Datasmith import for Oculus Quest (stand alone)

Good morning,

I use Datasmith to import from Solidwork 2018 to the Unreal VR Template (4.25). After installing the package to the Oculus Quest, everything shoes up, and works. But there is an important lag moving the head.

I suppose that is why the 3d Data is to complex and/or the setting of the template is not the best for the Oculus Quest Stand Alone.

Questions:
Are there any tutorials/ online courses (beside the developer guide of Oculus) for the Quest? I only find tutorials for VR linked to the PC, not stand alone.

Is there any tutorial for optimizing Datasmith imports for VR?

Thanks a lot for any help.
Greetings.
Wolfgang

First thing you can do is disable ‘Mobile HDR’ in project settings

Secondly - in editor console ( tilde key while in viewport) type ’ stat rhi ’ if you are way beyond 300k triangles drawn, you’ll need to work to reduce poly count. (There are level of detail tools built in to help with this (maybe even some way to automate LOD reduction with datasmith?))

Draw calls are also a consideration (One big mesh is faster to render than many little meshes)

Thank you for your answer. I tested a lot of diferent settings from different docs on Oculus and Unreal Documentation, and also some youtube videos. But the point will be that I “simply” have to much triangles. I also did some optimization on the meshs (create one mesh from various actors, jacketing) but I am still far from the 300k triangles.

From where did you get the 300k mark? It would be very important to know what will be my benchmark where I have to get.

It would be very interesting to find some automate LOD for the imports. The idea is to be able to importe different 3Ds for Design review, without have to spend a lot fo time in “manual” optimization.

I will try to check triangles while app is running. I understand, that is is only counting the triangles that are visiable in this moment.

Any other help, link to intersting information is welcome. Unfortunaly I find 99% for Rift, or other VR conected to PC.

Greetings!

You can automatically optimize your meshes on import using dataprep. You can for example play with the conversion settings, or generate automatic lod’s for your meshes.

Dataprep could partly automate your workflow in general.

this should give you more information on the possibilities: