Optimization

Hello everyone,

I was wondering if there are any methods I should look into out there to optimize your game that do not involve LODs?

Thanks in advance!

Are you allergic to LODs?

I think you have it back to front here.

To optimize your game, you have to figure out what is slowing it down, and work on that.

I meant besides LODs since there surely must be other options you can tweak here and there(?)

And no haha, I’ve messed with LODs quite a lot and just wanted to know if they’re as far as optimization of your game goes…

There are lots of things you can do, but you need to know what the problem is first.

If you have any materials that are translucent(see through), see if they will look nearly as well if you use the Dither Temporal AA, instead. See through materials are really costly. Most of the time it looks fine for me. Have you gone into your optimization views in the editor and looked at what is costing you so much?

Some other common things to optimize are:

• Texture usage (try and make textures smaller and re-use as many as possible - things like Normal Maps etc can be smaller than Diffuse maps - experiment)
  • Make sure “Tick” is turned off on as many actors as possible
  • Make as many materials fully “rough” as possible (no reflections)
  • Remove Transparency from materials where you can (like OORTIZ says)
  • Any areas that are slow, try and box them in so that they don’t have a large draw distance
  • If it’s still slow - you may need to look into reducing the landscape resolution
1 Like

Be aware of the target hardware and any techniques unsupported by the target hardware (material complexity, lighting etc.) then estimate a realistic implementation of your project. When you notice performance is below expectations use the profiler tool and stat commands to see and log actual values, then act on those.

2 Likes