OpenXR with SteamVR is extremely buggy and performance is terrible please help

Hopefully this is the correct place to ask this, apologies if it’s the wrong thread.

I’m just trying to develop a simple VR game using SteamVR since I have a Valve Index. I noticed that the SteamVR plugin is telling me to use OpenXR instead but it seems that as soon as I test anything with the headset the whole engine starts locking up, I’m getting serious memory exceeded issues and SteamVR itself starts acting out giving me nothing but pink bars in the latency graph.

It always spawns me under the floor of the home environment inside the headset (Valves default homescreen) and is usually unresponsive.

Testing in-game is giving me a headache as I’m only getting around 5 fps for some reason and there’s quite literally nothing in my scene other than my VR_Pawn, a sky and a plane.

Can you tell me if there’s a way of resolving this issue please? Is this a known thing with SteamVR and OpenXR? I was under the impression that OpenXR is the new umbrella environment for VR development now and it was supposed to be much better on performance.

The engine generally crashes after each test in the headset too, usually taking around 2 minutes for the crash to resolve so I can actually close the windows and restart.

System:

RTX 3070ti
Intel i7 10700K 3.8GHz base
64GB RAM
Windows 10

All drivers are upto date.

Anyone with a similar experience or even solutions to this please help. I’m running dx12 in-engine, but it’s the same on dx11. I think it’s an issue with OpenXR but I’m not sure.

Update:

Anyone? :frowning:

UPDATE:

I think I finally found a fix for this behaviour. In SteamVR turn OFF the Steam HOME. You need to enable advanced settings, then the option to turn it off will be at the bottom of the general tab.

This atleast stops Steam HOME hogging all my resources and causing crashes.

The second part of the issue is that the VR preview of my project will just freeze up and load a blank white preview window. I have to close this which takes some time to resolve, and then try again which usually works fine.

I don’t quite know why this happens but for now this is workable :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi,I have the problem.Me too.

I use device:

VIVE Eye pro / VIVE Controller(Not SteamVR Controller)
RTX3090
intelCORE i7

Anyway,I want to add InputAction.
->OpenXRInput Crash. You Too?

Propably,We should set up correctly Controller binding in steamVR.

I think so. HAHA

1 Like