Opening content browser crashes editor

A few days ago ue4 decided to crash every time I try to open the content browser. Regardless of the way I try to open the content browser it always results in the same effect. Here is the error information.

MachineId:DD28A3354248C49FCEB4AB9227D83F6F
EpicAccountId:fb38e4714c9746c09de040c38e152c9b

Unknown exception - code 00000001 (first/second chance not available)

"Assertion failed: SelectedItems.Num() > 0 [File:D:\BuildFarm\buildmachine_++depot+UE4-Releases+4.10\Engine\Source\Editor\ContentBrowser\Private\SPathView.cpp] [Line

UE4Editor_Core!FDebug::AssertFailed() [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine_++depot+ue4-releases+4.10\engine\source\runtime\core\private\misc\outputdevice.cpp:374]
UE4Editor_ContentBrowser!SPathView::LoadSettings() [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine_++depot+ue4-releases+4.10\engine\source\editor\contentbrowser\private\spathview.cpp:641]
UE4Editor_ContentBrowser!SContentBrowser::LoadSettings() [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine_++depot+ue4-releases+4.10\engine\source\editor\contentbrowser\private\scontentbrowser.cpp:1035]
UE4Editor_ContentBrowser!SContentBrowser::Construct() [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine_++depot+ue4-releases+4.10\engine\source\editor\contentbrowser\private\scontentbrowser.cpp:645]
UE4Editor_ContentBrowser!TDecl >::operator<<=() [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine_++depot+ue4-releases+4.10\engine\source\runtime\slatecore\public\widgets\declarativesyntaxsupport.h:1330]
UE4Editor_ContentBrowser!FContentBrowserSingleton::SpawnContentBrowserTab() [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine_++depot+ue4-releases+4.10\engine\source\editor\contentbrowser\private\contentbrowsersingleton.cpp:476]
UE4Editor_ContentBrowser!TMemberFunctionCaller (cdecl FContentBrowserSingleton::)(FSpawnTabArgs const & __ptr64,int) _ptr64>::operator()() [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine++depot+ue4-releases+4.10\engine\source\runtime\core\public\delegates\delegateinstanceinterface_variadics.h:161]
UE4Editor_ContentBrowser!TTupleImpl,int>::ApplyAfter_ExplicitReturnType,TMemberFunctionCaller (__cdecl FContentBrowserSingleton::
)(FSpawnTabArgs const & ptr64,int) () [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine++depot+ue4-releases+4.10\engine\source\runtime\core\public\delegates\tuple.h:78]
UE4Editor_ContentBrowser!TBaseRawMethodDelegateInstance<0,FContentBrowserSingleton,TSharedRef cdecl(FSpawnTabArgs const & ptr64),int>::Execute() [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine++depot+ue4-releases+4.10\engine\source\runtime\core\public\delegates\delegateinstancesimpl_variadics.inl:491]
UE4Editor_Slate!TBaseDelegate,FSpawnTabArgs const & ptr64>::Execute() [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine++depot+ue4-releases+4.10\engine\source\runtime\core\public\delegates\delegatesignatureimpl_variadics.inl:440]
UE4Editor_Slate!FTabManager::SpawnTab() [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine
++depot+ue4-releases+4.10\engine\source\runtime\slate\private\framework\docking\tabmanager.cpp:1211]
UE4Editor_Slate!FTabManager::InvokeTab_Internal() [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine
++depot+ue4-releases+4.10\engine\source\runtime\slate\private\framework\docking\tabmanager.cpp:939]
UE4Editor_Slate!FTabManager::InvokeTab() [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine
++depot+ue4-releases+4.10\engine\source\runtime\slate\private\framework\docking\tabmanager.cpp:879]
UE4Editor_ContentBrowser!FContentBrowserSingleton::SummonNewBrowser() [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine
++depot+ue4-releases+4.10\engine\source\editor\contentbrowser\private\contentbrowsersingleton.cpp:457]
UE4Editor_ContentBrowser!FContentBrowserSingleton::FocusPrimaryContentBrowser() [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine
++depot+ue4-releases+4.10\engine\source\editor\contentbrowser\private\contentbrowsersingleton.cpp:197]
UE4Editor_LevelEditor!TBaseStaticDelegateInstance::ExecuteIfSafe() [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine
++depot+ue4-releases+4.10\engine\source\runtime\core\public\delegates\delegateinstancesimpl_variadics.inl:921]
UE4Editor_Slate!FUICommandList::ExecuteAction() [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine
++depot+ue4-releases+4.10\engine\source\runtime\slate\private\framework\commands\uicommandlist.cpp:87]
UE4Editor_Slate!SToolBarButtonBlock::OnClicked() [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine_++depot+ue4-releases+4.10\engine\source\runtime\slate\private\framework\multibox\stoolbarbuttonblock.cpp:296]
UE4Editor_Slate!TMemberFunctionCaller::operator()<>() [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine_++depot+ue4-releases+4.10\engine\source\runtime\core\public\delegates\delegateinstanceinterface_variadics.h:161]
UE4Editor_Slate!TTupleImpl >::ApplyAfter_ExplicitReturnType >() [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine_++depot+ue4-releases+4.10\engine\source\runtime\core\public\delegates\tuple.h:113]
UE4Editor_Slate!TBaseSPMethodDelegateInstance<0,SToolBarButtonBlock,0,FReply cdecl(void)>::Execute() [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine++depot+ue4-releases+4.10\engine\source\runtime\core\public\delegates\delegateinstancesimpl_variadics.inl:282]
UE4Editor_Slate!TBaseDelegate::Execute() [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine
++depot+ue4-releases+4.10\engine\source\runtime\core\public\delegates\delegatesignatureimpl_variadics.inl:440]
UE4Editor_Slate!SButton::OnMouseButtonUp() [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine_++depot+ue4-releases+4.10\engine\source\runtime\slate\private\widgets\input\sbutton.cpp:236]
UE4Editor_Slate!::operator()() [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine_++depot+ue4-releases+4.10\engine\source\runtime\slate\private\framework\application\slateapplication.cpp:4276]
UE4Editor_Slate!FEventRouter::Route >() [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine_++depot+ue4-releases+4.10\engine\source\runtime\slate\private\framework\application\slateapplication.cpp:214]
UE4Editor_Slate!FSlateApplication::RoutePointerUpEvent() [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine_++depot+ue4-releases+4.10\engine\source\runtime\slate\private\framework\application\slateapplication.cpp:4266]
UE4Editor_Slate!FSlateApplication::ProcessMouseButtonUpEvent() [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine_++depot+ue4-releases+4.10\engine\source\runtime\slate\private\framework\application\slateapplication.cpp:4663]
UE4Editor_Slate!FSlateApplication::OnMouseUp() [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine_++depot+ue4-releases+4.10\engine\source\runtime\slate\private\framework\application\slateapplication.cpp:4641]
UE4Editor_Core!FWindowsApplication::ProcessDeferredMessage() [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine_++depot+ue4-releases+4.10\engine\source\runtime\core\private\windows\windowsapplication.cpp:1416]
UE4Editor_Core!FWindowsApplication::DeferMessage() [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine_++depot+ue4-releases+4.10\engine\source\runtime\core\private\windows\windowsapplication.cpp:1721]
UE4Editor_Core!FWindowsApplication::ProcessMessage() [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine_++depot+ue4-releases+4.10\engine\source\runtime\core\private\windows\windowsapplication.cpp:719]
UE4Editor_Core!FWindowsApplication::AppWndProc() [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine_++depot+ue4-releases+4.10\engine\source\runtime\core\private\windows\windowsapplication.cpp:641]
user32
user32
UE4Editor_Core!FWindowsPlatformMisc::PumpMessages() [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine_++depot+ue4-releases+4.10\engine\source\runtime\core\private\windows\windowsplatformmisc.cpp:884]
UE4Editor!FEngineLoop::Tick() [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine_++depot+ue4-releases+4.10\engine\source\runtime\launch\private\launchengineloop.cpp:2391]
UE4Editor!GuardedMain() [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine_++depot+ue4-releases+4.10\engine\source\runtime\launch\private\launch.cpp:142]
UE4Editor!GuardedMainWrapper() [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine_++depot+ue4-releases+4.10\engine\source\runtime\launch\private\windows\launchwindows.cpp:126]
UE4Editor!WinMain() [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine_++depot+ue4-releases+4.10\engine\source\runtime\launch\private\windows\launchwindows.cpp:200]
UE4Editor!__scrt_common_main_seh() [f:\dd\vctools\crt\vcstartup\src\startup\exe_common.inl:264]
kernel32
ntdll

Hello DarkInigma,

I have a few questions for you that will help narrow down what issue it is that you are experiencing.

Quick questions:

1. Can you reproduce this issue in a clean project?
  2. If so, could you provide a detailed list of steps to reproduce this issue on our end?
  3. Could you provide screen shots of the editor and/or blueprints that may be involved with this issue?

Hello DarkInigma,

We have not heard back from you in a few days, so we are marking this post as Resolved for tracking purposes. If you are still experiencing the issue you reported, please respond to this message with additional information and we will offer further assistance.

Thank you.

I have the same problem with UE4 when i open the content browser. I also tried to do it in a clean project. Still no change. Hopefully you can assist ferther on this information

Thank you

Hello TimAdventurer,

Could you answer the other two questions that I asked DarkInigma?

1. I don’t have the issue in a clean project

• Presses on ‘Open Content Browser’
    • UE4 Freezes
    • Shuts down and Unreal Engine Crash Reporter comes up

Thanks for helping me out and for your swift reply

Hello TimAdventurer,

Nothing from the screenshots jumps out at me as to what may be causing the issue. Would it be possible for you to provide a copy of the project that is exhibiting the crash?

Hey Tim and Rudy - whoever reads this first, could any of you two please take that link down? It wasn’t meant to go public this way…

Hello TimAdventurer,

Could you try verifying your engine and/or a fresh install?

I did try already a clean install. Yet no diffrence

Could you provide the complete call stack that you receive when your editor crashes?

Call Stack
Can’t put the whole code in here so i made a txt file of the code so you can check it out

I looked over the call stack and it appears to be the same crash as the one the previous poster. Has this project been upgraded from an older version of the engine? If so, could you provide the work flow (copied, cloned, or converted) used to upgrade the engine and what versions it went through?

To weigh in on this one, the project’s build Tim has, has been continuously upgraded from UE4.6 to 4.10.2, using the upgrade option in the .uproject file.

What he said ^

Hello TimAdventurer,

I am still unable to reproduce this issue on our end. Could you provide a simplified version of your project that reproduces this crash via a private message on the forums? This can be done with a google drive or drop box link.

hey I have the same problem. and here is how I caused it to happen:

I renamed my project file…

now the content browser crashes. So I set the name back to the original name…
and it still crashes.

I can select a particle system in the level, I can even edit it, but as soon as i try to open content browser, BAMM!

link text
All I did was change the project name… when i reverted the name change, still crashing… help please!
All I need to do is save my particles, materials and textures. Can I just move the content folder into a new project?

thank you in advance for any help :frowning:

Hello,

I could not reproduce this issue on our end. Could you answer the following questions:

1. Can you reproduce this issue in a clean project?
  2. If so, could you provide a detailed list of steps including any small steps that may have been missed in order to reproduce this issue on our end?
  3. Did you close out your content browser?
  4. If so, when in the steps did that occur?
  5. What method are you using to add the content browser back (Window > Content browser > content browser 1 or did you click the content button)?