[Open Beta] Procedural On-the-Fly Animation in UE4: iTween!

Awesome work!

Keep it up with this awesome work =)

Cheers

:smiley:

Second page! Woo hoo!

On a side note, UMG render transform tweens are going to have to wait. It’s impossible to Lerp between two values if you don’t know the from value, and there is currently no way to “get” umg render transforms. I’ll be working on a solution that assumes default values, but it’s not ideal. I put in a request for getting render transforms for widgets, so hopefully that’ll show up on Github/4.5 full soon. :slight_smile:

Yes, sorry, my ‘what about other splines’ was in reply to the guy asking about Landscape splines (as in he should try those for his needs instead of landscape). I didn’t make that clear.

I totally feel stupid. Lmao. See I was over thinking the situation and tried to import the file directly within the program. Did not think to actually move it into the unreal project folder. I guess I am one of those that u mention who learn better through visual. Thanks again

Ah, okay. Thanks for contributing because I am a professional idiot and any help I can get I’ll take. :slight_smile:

You’re super welcome! I really hope you can get some use out of it. If you enjoy using it, please don’t hesitate to donate to the original Unity author of itween at pixelplacement.com!

Thanks to Mr. Darnell, we’ll be able to get render transform properties in the full version of 4.5, so UMG functionality is happening sooner rather than later.

I cannot find the move tick function. I have followed the tutorial video to the t and can’t seem to find it. which i believe i could use on my pressure plate. Any ideas on what happened.

Edit: I am actually missing two functions, one is the move tick and the other is Remove from list of tweens.

itween issue.

Edit 2: I stopped and decided to work on the functionality of the bridge and discovered that the rotate functions are not there as well. just to check my asset count I went ahead and moved the itween folder into my blueprint folder, the same way you did in your first video, where yours said you had 37 assets, mine only said I had 23 assets

Yes, actually! I forgot to upload the new version. Look for that in a few hours. Although if I know your case, it might be better to use Move From/To and set it off with events rather than have it constantly checking the tick.

I think you might be right about the move from/to function now that I think about it, but i need that to react to a trigger box (end and begin overlap). but just so I know I have my information correct, your saying i do not have the version that comes equipped with the other 14 functions? I just wanted to know so I can go ahead and remove the version I have and then install the latest version. Also, if so, can you post when it has been updated please?

I was mistaken, I definitely did upload the latest version. It’s at post #33 in this thread: [Open Beta] Procedural On-the-Fly Animation in UE4: iTween! - Blueprint - Epic Developer Community Forums

That version should have all of the latest events. If you could just verify for me that you have that version and that you can access move tick, scale tick, and rotate tick?

Sorry I work another job and usually don’t get on until now. I am pretty sure this is the one I thought I downloaded. Just to be safe I’ll go through the process again.

Edit: yep, everything seems to be there. sorry about the confusion and thanks again. The only issue I have is that I need to have my bridge rotate 90 degrees when my character is on the pressure plate and then stay there once he steps off of it. then rotate another 90 degrees from the actors new location. I can only seem to get it to rotate once, stay in position, and when I repeat the process it jumps back to it’s original position and then repeat the process.

Can you post a picture of your blueprint? If I know how you’re setting it up I can help you figure out the problem :slight_smile:

Just wanted to say thank you very much for your work in producing iTween. It will make moving/animating certain objects SO much easier and straightforward (especially for a noob such as myself =) ). I would love to donate to you guys as well as the original author just as a thank you for your time and effort in translating it from Unity and for producing the tutorial videos.

One question - while moving an object to its target, if that target itself is moved will iTween dynamically adjust the trajectory of said object that is moving towards it? I hope that made sense. =)

And thank YOU very much for supporting the project! It’s comments like these that make developing iTween such a joy. :slight_smile: The team, however, feels awkward about even offering a place to donate because we then feel like we’re asking for donations. We’d feel great though, if you could give what you would have given to us to Mr. Berkebile :smiley:

I think what you’re asking is, if you were to set a Move From/To on an object using another object’s position and that position were to change, would the original tweening object then change its “To” to the new position? If so, the answer is no unfortunately because of Easetypes and Looping. This is the behaviour of the original iTween for Unity as well. Because we’re moving an object to a destination over time, it needs to know the endpoint beforehand so it can calculate the rate at which it will move and modulate it according to the Easetype. Even if you’re using “speed” as your Tick Type, you’re just running that value through an expression that converts it to “time” internally. As for loops, while Rewind doesn’t need to know the end position won’t change, Back-and-Forth (ping pong) does since the looping mechanism switches the “to” and “from” vectors.

We may be able to mitigate this issue and simplify it in the future with another “Move To Target” event or similar, but that’s in the backlog since there are two options you can try right meow:

1. Use Move Tick - this was made specifically for changing values and interpolating to them live. It doesn’t have as many options as the event-based moves, but it may be just what you’re looking for. Give it a shot!

2. Use Move Along Spline - MAS takes in a spline component and interpolates an object’s position to a point on that spline at a given time, so if you dynamically change the position of the spline’s endpoint then the tween will update dynamically as well. MAS was created half for allowing objects to move to multiple points along a path, half for being more flexible than the rigid Move From/To event.

I’ll be uploading some more tutorials later focused on spline operations with iTween and I will be sure to touch on this situation and how to use splines to get this effect.

All the best,
Sweet

i will attach an image of my blueprint in a sec. I have an issue though (sorry about the delay I had another project I was working on take priority), I have these error codes that keep popping up ever since i brought in itween and set it up:

do you have any idea what these errors are referencing?

Yup, those errors are caused by not importing iTween directly to your Content folder. If you put it in any subfolder, it will try to compile using the original folder structure and will fail. I talked about this in the setup video. Once you have it in the root Content folder for your game, you can move it to whatever other folder you want as long as you use the UE4 content browser so it will update all of the file references automatically. If you did copy the folder into Content originally and moved it after, this error could be caused by a crash or failure to save. Either way, you can fix this error by deleting the iTween folder and pasting it into Content again.

okay ill do that. I did put it into the games root folder, but I could have exited without saving or something. Ill test this out now to see if this fixes the problem

It was the saving issue, after i compiled everything and saved everything about 64 times (no bs), I loaded my game back up and had no error messages. ty

Alright as for the blueprint:

&stc=1

that is for the bridge rotation, I also had another question, how do I get the Move from/to function to work via Event begin overlap and end overlap. i thought maybe I could just bring in two move from/to nodes and attach them to the same mesh but i would still have the issue of repeating. So i believe your answer to the first question would answer the loop issue for this, but is there a better way? you can see the pressure plate bp below.

&stc=1

Edit: Just noticed the set variable in the bottom right corner of the pressure plate blueprint. ignore that variable (forgot I had accidentally clicked on promote to variable

:smiley:

I’m not sure why, but I can’t see your attached pictures. Can you try reuploading them? Of course, it could just be the forums.

Most likely what you’ll want to do is give both pressure plate Tweens a name, like “PP1” and “PP2” or whatever works for you. Then on event begin overlap, call “Stop Tween By Name” from the iTween object and start the other one. Keep hopping back and forth, stopping one Tween and starting the other.

Im not sure why you can’t see them? I can try re-uploading but that might have to wait till tomorrow. as far as the pressure plate goes, that might work. see the bridge is actually just a custom event attached to the rotate from?to and then a reference to the mesh is attached to the target. the rotation is set at 90 degrees on the rotate to notch. i think that i would need to put a reference to the actors location but i don’t believe that I would need to do that if the class blueprint is for that mesh (assuming the blueprint already knows where the mesh is in it’s own blueprint, I could be wrong).

Edit: sorry about all of the typos.

Yes, it sounds like the approach I outlined earlier would work best for this situation. Let me know how it goes, because we want you to get it all set up! :slight_smile: