One project, two platforms - SteamVR and Android

OK, I think I found a way to make this work with Blueprints.

1. I made sure that I don’t mention MotionControllerPawn or BP_MotionController in any blueprint that can potentially be accessed on the mobile device

2. Any interaction with VR is done via interfaces

3. I made a startup map where I check the type of device using GetPlatformName. Based on platform I take the player to either a VR Main Menu or mobile device menu

4. Only the VR player can create session - i.e. be the server. This helps me to decide which player should be spawned into MotionControllerPawn and which should be in a regular Character

5. I switched of the replication on MotionControllerPawn and BP_MotionController. Only relevant to owner is set to True. Net load on client set to False.

6. I spawn and replicate meshes that stand for VR player’s hands and head. These are visible only to clients.

This seems to work fine but if there is a better way of doing this let me know please.

I’m working on an asymmetric 2 player game that is played over LAN. One player controls a VR pawn using HTC Vive, the other plays on an Android device.

I have the networking setup and everything works fine until I reference SteamVR anywhere in any blueprint (spawning a MotionControllerPawn, casting to BP_MotionController, etc.). As soon as I do that the app on Android crashes with this error in the log:

• Missing Dependency, request for SteamVRChaperoneComponent but it hasn’t been created yet

and

• Error: Couldn’t find file for package /Script/SteamVR requested by async loading code. NameToLoad: /Script/SteamVR

I guess that SteamVR libraries are not being build for mobile devices which make sense but I can’t figure out how to make this work.

A bit more info:

The error is triggered by my GameMode where I spawn either a VR Pawn or a ThirdPersonCharacter after the OnPostLogin event.

What I’ve tried already:

• I tried to separate blueprints that reference VR stuff from those that should run on mobile but at some point I just had to reference VR in some shared blueprints.
  • Eventually I tried to convert my Blueprint project to C++ so that I can force SteamVR to build for Android. I hoped that I’ll just add a line or two into the xxxxx.build.cs but I can see it’s not going to be that easy. So just out of desperation I tried to add android to the list of supported platforms in SteamVRPlugin.h. That surprisingly did not work :slight_smile:

Any chance there is a way to fix this, any help would be greatly appreciated?

DanielFranko, I’m attempting to solve the exact same problem. Did this end up working out for you in the long run?

are you still there? anyone know how to fix this issue?