One character with 15 different animation sets depending on what item they are using?

I have one character, one skeleton and 15 unique items that the character can use.
The character’s move, crouch, jump, attack and interaction animations are all different based on what item it’s using.

I have two questions:

If I were to make individual blend spaces and state machines for all of these animations, they would all have the exact same structure with different sequences plugged in. Is there a way to make one single state machine and treat the animations within it as variables?

If not, how could I cleanly implement this many different states and allow the character to choose one based on their item?

New to UE4 and blueprints, thanks in advance.

Here’s a link to what I was trying before posting this:

Is there a way to make one single state machine and treat the animations within it as variables?

Yes, I have done something like this in the past. The trick is a sort-of hidden feature. Drag any animation sequence into your AnimGraph (in a state machine or otherwise) and then on the animation sequence’s details panel (right-hand side) you can expose the sequence as a pin. This allows you to feed any sequence into this node. From here you can make an animation sequence variable in your animation blueprint, say one for “attack”, then based on the item the player is using you can set the “attack” animation sequence variable appropriately.

Doing so should give you a bit of modularity in your state-machine.

I have attached an image of the expose sequence as pin thing I am talking about.

This works great, thanks a bunch. Is there any reason in particular the pins aren’t exposed by default? Seems very useful.

Not sure, that’s one for the engineers at Epic, haha :slight_smile: