Download

Once Per Tick Global Processing

Looking for best-practices here.

We need to have a function called once per game tick globally. It does things like relaxes crowd sound instance counts to prevent spamming sound, NPC respawn throtteling etc.

I have implemented it as a C++ AActor subclass, and a blueprint off of that. Then we have just one in the map.

Is this the best way to do this?

I looked for UGameInstance for OnTick, or ReceiveTick or similar functuins and don’t see them.

AGameMode will tick, but if you’re game is multi-player it’s worth noting that GameModes only exist on the server/authority. You could tell it to fire an event in a GameState however, but that’ll be pretty network intensive if you’re doing it per-tick. Hard to say what the best approach would be without a few more details :slight_smile:

I think the way you’ve done it is OK actually. In the level blueprint you can spawn your global actor when begin play on the level is called. Do a search for any actors of that class beforehand and destroy them so that you enforce the single actor.

GameInstance does not come with a Tick function built in, but you can make tickable by subclassing FTickableGameObject:

class UMyGameInstance : public UGameInstance, public FTickableGameObject

The FTickableGameObject interface provides a few different ways to control ticking behaviour. It automatically takes care of registering the object with the tick manager so you don’t have to worry about any of that.

-Camille

Can you actually do multiple inheritance with UObjects? I thought it only supported multiple inheritance with interfaces and would fail to compile otherwise. This sounds like it may be doable with just a single AActor that exists in the game that isn’t a GameMode. Maybe like a special AActor that inherits from AInfo and controls this on clients and servers.