On Project Open Crashing

Top lines of the crash report read as follows.

Fatal error: [File:D:\Build++UE4+Release-4.14+Compile\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\CoreUObject\Private\Templates\Casts.cpp] [Line: 11]
Cast of LinkerPlaceholderExportObject /Game/Assets/Physical/Character/BaseCharacter/BaseCharacter.BaseCharacter_C:rightHand_GEN_VARIABLE.rightHand_GEN_VARIABLE_ShortSword_C_CAT to Actor failed

Details on those areas. BaseCharacter is my character, the character has a mesh, which has child actor components. Child Actor components are being set to a custom Actor, which is a child of an abstract class. I have no idea what causes the error. I had been working on the project for hours at a time, with no problems. The game was compilable at close.

Hello BigDeady,

From looking at that message, it seems like this is coming directly from an instance of BaseCharacter and/or ShortSword in the level. The “_C” appended onto the end is usually something that is given to instances of an object. Since this may be map specific, let’s hope it’s in your startup map so that we can at least get the project open.

Open your DefaultEngine.ini for your project, which can be found in the Config folder. Find the lines that look like this:

[/Script/EngineSettings.GameMapsSettings]
EditorStartupMap=/Game/Untitled.Untitled
GameDefaultMap=/Game/Untitled.Untitled

Try changing both of those to another map in your project, save the file, and see if you can start the project.

As for the issue itself, it seems like the BaseCharacter has a child or variable named “rightHand” which has a variable/child named “ShortSword”, and this “ShortSword” is trying to cast to Actor. Is ShortSword a child of Actor in any way?

We haven’t heard from you in a while BigDeady. Are you still experiencing this issue? If so, was my last comment of any help? In the meantime, I’ll be marking this issue as resolved for tracking purposes.

I was attempting to attach weapons using actor components, then while trying to use the actors as if they were actors, casting would fail causing the crash. On load up the same cast would cause a failure. I didn’t realize all I had to do was spawn actor attach actor. Thank you for the help.