On Event Begin Overlap not working as intended

I am currently laying out a blueprint that detects obstacles for an AI driven vehicle. As of right now I have placed collision boxes in front of the car. The idea is that when an obstacle overlaps the box it will turn to avoid the object. For one solid object my method works fine. My issue arises when there are multiple objects. For instance, I have a fence setup in the world, the fence is made up of many sections places side by side by side. The initial collision with the box triggers and the vehicle turns. However, when the overlap box reaches the end of the section it initially triggered on it triggers the “end overlap” event. Immediately (meaning absolutely no gap between the two sections) the next “begin overlap” event should take place. However, it does not, the collision box does not recognize the obstacle and the vehicle crashes into it. I cannot go through and change the fences because they are places throughout the world and the world is fairly big.

Basically, instead of an “on component begin overlap” and “on component end overlap” I need “When component is overlapping” and “When component is not overlapping”

Hi Nalfano,

Instead of using a collision box could you use multiple line traces instead and for the hit use the visibility channel? That might get you better results than the box collision since you can then just check the distance between the hit and the front of the car for your steering logic.

I am fairly new to unreal, would you mind either explaining a little bit more about how to set it up/how it would work?

Do you have screen shots of this set up?

I do, although it is a bit of a mess. It just depends on what you need to take a look at. I have a lot going on in the AI controller. Are you looking for the steering component?

Here is the documentation that gives a pretty good overview and a quick YouTube tutorial on the basics. Those two sources should give a nice introduction that should get you pointed in the right direction.

Happy to help more too if you have questions about your implementation.

Copy/paste you BPs here https://blueprintue.com

Mainly need to see how you handle overlap events and how that then sets up steering. Good place to start is just your on begin and end overlap events.