For our project we’ve been successfully using the Rift motion controllers. Everything is working great so far.
Just recently I tried to read the thumbstick axis values on the touch controls.
I am using the following UE4 events to get the values:
- MotionControll (L) Thumbstick X
- MotionControll (L) Thumbstick Y
- Oculus Touch (L) Thumbstick CapTouch
- MotionControll (R) Thumbstick X
- MotionControll (R) Thumbstick Y
- Oculus Touch (R) Thumbstick CapTouch
The events are working just fine, but the values I get from the X, Y positions are sometimes invalid.
What happens is anytime I move the thumbstick to the maximum extents either directly up, down, left, or right, the events report a value of 1 (along the appropriate axis) for about .5 seconds before reporting a value of zero until the thumbstick is moved again.
As an example:
- Move the thumbstick slowly to the right.
- Observe the X axis value change from zero towards 1.
- Upon the stick physically reaching the far right, the X axis value reports 1 for about .5 seconds.
- The X axis will now start reporting a value of zero even though I continue to hold the thumbstick to the right.
Diagonal thumbstick positions don’t have this problem because the X and Y axis values never get close enough to 1.
This behavior appears to be a bug.
Edit: This may not be a UE4 bug. The xbox 360 controller works just fine. Might be a Rift specific bug.