Oculus Quest 2/Pro Link Black Screen in VR Preview

Does anyone know of how to resolve 5.0.3 black screen in VR Preview?

This has happened relentlessly on my Quest 2, figured it was some obscure error. I recently got the Quest Pro and the exact same thing happens, seems to be an Oculus Runtime related error.

In VR Preview, the screen is black, except for widgets. I can see only widgets, but no game world rendered. On my computer screen, I see the world and the headset/controller tracking work fine, its just in the headset, the game world not being rendered.

It’s a terrible error destroying development. I can close Unreal and then Link, and restart Link and Unreal and sometimes it will work, but I need to restart Link & Unreal sometimes 10 literal times for it to work sometimes, and then when a bug causes Unreal to crash (expected in dev) it makes me have to repeat this process, which sometimes takes forever, and its very discouraging.

Anyone have a lead on why this may be happening?

Thank you!!!

Yeah same here (kind of) I have no problems developing with Quest2 + Air Link directly with Unreal (4.27.2) and I’m happy to “accidently” found out that steam is actually not needed. So before running Unreal start AirLink in the headset and you should be good to go. I’ve tested this settup with several different machines and headsets. BUT we recently got the Quest Pro and with this I can’t get no VR running whats so ever. Air Link starts correctly but the moment I’m starting VR in the editor it freezes and crashes → both the project AND the headset. Hopefully this will be fixed SOON.

I managed to fix this by disabling the Oculus plugin and using the OpenXR plugin.

I tried 5.1 from github and saw Oculus and SteamVR were deprecated and opting for using the OpenXR plugin, so I tried the same on 5.0.3 and so far no black screens!

1 Like

I’ve been working on fixing the “Black Screen” issue for Oculus Quest and Quest 2 headsets, and here’s a concise guide:

• Hard Reboot:

• Hold down the power button for 10-30 seconds. This can reset the system and fix the issue.
  • Power and Volume Down Buttons:

• Hold these two buttons simultaneously until you see the boot menu, then select “Boot device”.
  • Wait It Out:

• Sometimes, leaving the headset on and connected to a charger resolves the issue, as it might be updating.
  • Controller Menu Buttons:

• Pressing the Oculus and menu buttons on the controllers can sometimes resolve the issue.
  • Reconnect via Oculus App:

• Use the Oculus app on your phone to reconnect to the headset.
  • Change Location:

• Try using the headset in a different room to rule out guardian system issues.
  • Remove Accessories:

• Custom foam paddings or silicon covers might block the proximity sensor. Removing them can resolve the issue.
  • Cover Proximity Sensor:

• If covering the sensor fixes the issue, it might be faulty. Consider cleaning it or using dark tape as a temporary fix.
  • Retrieve Logs with Logcat:

• If you have developer mode enabled, use ADB commands to retrieve crash logs for further analysis.
  • Factory Reset:

• This is a last resort that wipes your headset but can be effective.

For Oculus Link Black Screen Issues:

• Disconnect and Restart:
    • Disconnect the cable, restart both the headset and software, then reconnect.
  • Update Software and Drivers:
    • Ensure Windows, Oculus software, and graphics drivers are updated.
  • PC Compatibility Check:
    • Confirm your PC meets Oculus Link requirements.
  • Disable NVIDIA Overlay:
    • In GeForce Experience settings, disable the In-Game Overlay.
  • Different USB Ports:
    • Try connecting to different USB ports on your PC.
  • Remove Adapters/Extension Cables:
    • Test without any adapters or extension cables, as they can cause issues.
  • Disable Integrated GPU on Laptops:
    • For dual-GPU systems, try disabling the integrated GPU via Device Manager.
  • Disable USB Port Power Saving:
    • In Device Manager, under USB settings, turn off power saving for USB ports.
  • Reinstall Oculus Software:
    • A fresh install of the Oculus software might resolve the issue.

Following these steps should help solve the black screen problem on the Oculus Quest headsets. If you need more details on any of these solutions, feel free to check out my post!