Oculus Quest 2 Archviz

So, I’m making a simple scene in Unreal Engine 5.1.1, and one of the static meshes has over 8 million triangles and over 6 million vertices. I disabled Nanite and Lumen, and am using a deprecated global illumination method. There is not much lag on my gaming PC that I’m running it on, but when I bake it to the Quest 2 using Meta XR, the game is incredibly laggy when I look at the mesh and the entire building turns neon green for a couple seconds and then reverts back to its original material. I’ve been trying to work on this for a while, and I haven’t found a solution. Does anyone have a fix for this?

Thanks,

_Draco

Hello Draco,

I can confidently say an 8 million triangle mesh is too much for the Quest 2 to handle.

With the modeling tools you can simplify this mesh to something more reasonable. I did a search for Quest 2 max polygon count and it’s reported that 750k - 1M is the overall max.

You’re asking way too much for the current hardware. Quest 2 can handle about 1M polygons in total for the whole scene/view at the same time but this also depends on how many materials are on the object, if parts of the object are visible all the time etc etc.

What do you mean by ‘using a deprecated GI method’? Are you using real-time moveable lights? For Quest to have some performance (and even more so if you have high polycounts) baked lighting is the way to go. For really small and optimized scenes you might get away with a real-time moveable light.

Edit: to get an idea how to make a project for Quest, this is a nice video. Its for Quest one though so you could multiply some numbers by 1,5. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JvMQUz0g_Tk

Thank you for your input! So, in terms on the GI method, if you search for “illumination” in the project settings, you can select an option called Standalone Ray Traced.

For Quest, you can’t use dynamic global illumination. This has to be set to none. You can only use baked lighting and maybe one dynamic light for dynamic shadows if you need those, but no GI.

Maybe read this link from Oculus, it should guide you through all settings. https://developer.oculus.com/documentation/unreal/unreal-quick-start-guide-quest/

I’m tackling a bit of a puzzler in my project using Unreal Engine 5.1.1. I’ve got this static mesh in my scene with a whopping 8 million triangles and over 6 million vertices. To keep things running smoothly, I disabled Nanite and Lumen and opted for an older global illumination method. Now, here’s the catch – everything seems alright on my beefy gaming PC, but when I bake the project onto my Quest 2 using Meta XR, things take a wonky turn. :slightly_smiling_face:

I’m afraid you will to start optimising your project so the max poly count is below 1 million or even less. Depends on your scene, materials etc. Quest2 is sort of mobile phone hardware that has been optimised so has way less power compared you your pc . Also, only use baked lighting with high poly counts, no global illumination in any form is possible for mobile vr at this time

The issue of the entire building turning neon green and then reverting to its original material could be related to material loading. Are there any errors or warnings in the logs during this process? :thinking: