Oceans not aligned / Unable to edit waves

Does anybody know how to fix the issue where parts of the ocean are not aligned? I have tried many things and cannot find a way to edit the waves of the larger ocean (the flat/lower one in the picture), and extending any ‘Ocean Extents’ does not help.

Greetings @MaxTheKitsune

Welcome back to the Unreal Engine Community Forum. With this issue, the two issues I’d look at are

• Is the landscape level?
  • Did you turn on ‘Enable Edit Layers’ when you created the landscape?

Let me know from there and we can definitely look further into this if the issue persists.

This happens on the ocean that is pre-placed with the island template. I cannot move the two different oceans parts/water heights separately from each other.

Iirc if you have any water actors like “ocean” and “lake”, there are settings in there to fix this, in details. I had this issue on my map but a teammate fixed it so I am not entirely sure how he did it, but there is a fix.

Odd approach on my part perhaps. But, have you checked underneath and ensured that the terrain underneath is balanced/even?

The wavy bit of ocean is meant for the playable area and has close up ocean effects,
The flat bit of ocean is for distance visuals only and should be off in the distance
the waterline of the distance ocean sits below the waterline of the wavy ocean, so the waves don’t dip below it and show void.

There is an actor in the outliner called Waterzone, its used in conjunction with the ocean and its extents define the border where the playable ocean meets the distance ocean

make the waterzone extents and the ocean extents about the same size and make them big enough to contain your whole island and playable area.
so for example a medium island maybe somewhere between 80,000 to 128,000 for the x and y extents of both ocean and Waterzone should work.
The ocean collision extents can use half the value of the extents (measures diameter instead of from centre)

the idea is to make the wavy ocean meet the flat ocean far enough away from where a player can discern the difference

1 Like