Download

Obligatory Ocean / Water Material Thread (Tessellated, Translucent, Reflection)

Hi everyone, after a heap of experimenting and failed attempts, my first ocean / water material is starting to take shape!
I decided to base it on a combination of ideas from multiple people’s threads / videos.
I am using Gerstner waves powering the tessellation combined with a semi-realtime updating cubemap (based upon Hourences’ sea in Solus) to allow for a translucent shoreline.
Anyway here is where I am at right now and I will be updating this thread as I add features :slight_smile:
reminder that I am insanely new to ocean shaders haha and ignore my horrible fps, my pc is getting quite old now!

Water_Mat.PNG

https://youtube.com/watch?v=VFdrx0wnlcM

Looks fantastic. I’m loving the shore.

Looks awesome, DylserX! Have you thought about water/caustics? Super impressed with some of the work done in regards to water shaders as of late. Also, any plans on releasing a tutorial or marketplace package? There’s definitely a niche that needs to be filled!

Thanks for the kind words guys, Yes I have been thinking about creating an in-depth tutorial so far and have been preparing that as on late :slight_smile: , still a little bit to go tough :stuck_out_tongue:

Oh and yeh i have also been thinking about Caustics :slight_smile: have to get my head around them hehe

Great Work! Looking forward to a Tutorial to learn more about it :slight_smile:

Was the intention behind the material blueprint screenshot to allow us to try it out? If so, the screenshot is too small and I can’t make out the majority of the nodes.