Objects falling through surface that they shouldn't fall through

Hello,

I have a mostly simple scene set up based on the Automotive Bridge Scene asset (Automotive Bridge Scene in Environments - UE Marketplace).

When I start simulating the level, vehicles fall through most segments of the bridge, but stay on top of a few segments (they stay on top of most, but not all, of the curved segments). I compared the physics and collision settings of the two road surfaces that meet up beneath the van in the image I attached, but they seemed to be the same. I am not sure what is going on.

I’m new to Unreal Engine, so there is probably something that I should’ve checked but missed. Thank you for any help you can give!

If you can post the collision settings for your vehicle and all road pieces, someone may be able to help. Its likely object type being set different on different segments, but impossible to know without being able to see the settings.

Common answers here:

Here are the physics and collision settings for the road piece that the front of the van is sinking into:

1st Surface Collision

Here are the physics and collision settings for the road piece that the back of the van is staying on:

2nd Surface Collision

Here are the physics and collision settings for the van’s body:

The van’s wheels have separate physics and collision settings, which are the same for each wheel:

You have them set to query only and also ignoring everything. If you want them to not fall through an object you need to set it to block on WorldStatic for both at least. If you’re expect a physics reaction you need to set it to physics as well.

The tl;dr is with any two objects solving collision comes down to looking at the object types they each are. And ensuring that they have the expected behavior (probably block in your case) for the other’s object type.

The longer answer is found here and will help you get an understanding of collision in UE4.