Objects Disappearing in Game Mode

Hey everyone,

I’ve dug up an old project and started working on it again but found that a number of my meshes are disappearing when going into Game Mode (G) or Playing the level. The disappearing actors are not “hidden in game” and I cannot figure out what the problem is.

Any suggestions?

FWIW the meshes in question do not disappear in a blank new map.

And here is the basic question… Have you tried removing and replacing the actors that are disappearing by chance? I’ve had that issue before and simply removing all the affected actors, saving, and re-adding them resolved the issue for me.

The next thing to check is making sure that they are set to render in the detail panel when you have the actors selected.

Hope this helps get you in the right direction.

Good question. The rendering is on for the problem objects.

Replacing them actually does fix a few of the problem meshes but not all of them.

I’m going to try a complete reimport for some.

Weird, the disappearance actually seems connected to the scaling of the objects.

I am importing from an older build and transferring to a new engine build and in doing so I’m changing all the scaling on my objects. Unscaled objects do not disappear but the scaled ones do.

Hmm, so if I import an object (scale 1) it doesn’t disappear in Game Mode. If I scale if to 2 it disappears. If I scale it back to 1 it still disappears unless I drag a new one in from the content browser.

The thing is that I’ve scaled all the meshes in my level and not all of them are disappearing. There has to be something else going on with the level itself.

That is some strange behavior. I’ll try and fiddle around with it when I get home to the engine.

So it is possible that the level got corrupted in the transfer. It’s a risk that is always there when ever you are moving from an older version to a newer one. Things just break. I had to rebuild an entire project because of an upgrade.

Short from rebuilding the level (Which would be time consuming yes, and not really a solution you might be looking for). If Replacing the problem actors or re-importing the assets don’t work for that specific level, then I’m not too entirely sure what can be done without sitting in-front of the engine.

Is the level massive in scale by any means?

The reason for the porting was because I was using a 4.9 build with Hairworks back in January and wanted to update to 4.12. My scaling in the old version was massive for some reason and that was causing unneeded system drain because to compensate for the large scale of meshes with hair I had to crank up the hairworks density. It seemed a bit silly to do that so I decided to scale everything down.

That’s the back story. It’s a days work but I think I’m just going to copy mesh by mesh into a fresh level and copy over the transform info. My test seems to work. It sucks but I think you are right about the corruption - I was opening a 4.9 map save with 4.12.

Thanks IntVoid!

Quite Welcome!

Yeah, it sucks having to resort having to rebuild the level, but it happens, especially moving from 4.9 to 4.12. When I upgraded my 4.9 project, I had lost the ability to actually use my C++ functionality and the only recourse was to rebuild it. It happens, but at least it’s just one level right? :slight_smile:

i have same problem, everthing disappering + UI