Object Reference Not Compatible

Hi there

I’m very new to blueprints and I’m trying to get a weapon to fire. Please bear with me as I try to explain with little knowledge of the subject myself :smiley:

I’m following this tutorial UE4 Third Person Cover Shooter - 8 Firing a Projectile Weapon - YouTube

I’ve set up a Master Weapon BP which has custom events of “Shoot” and “Stop Shoot” - those are passed to the Player character to spawn the projectile. The problem comes at about 08.45 in the video when I go to the Player Controller and try to use the input axis event “Shoot” - when I get the Player Character variable and try to use it as a target for the Shoot event from the Player Character I get this error:

“Character Object Reference is not compatible with Character Object Reference”

I’d be really grateful if someone could help - it’s probably something really obvious and embarrassing :smiley:

Hopefully I’ve provided enough info!

285359-playercontroller.jpg

Hard to say without watching everything, but I’d definitely try re-compiling everything…

Hi, the problem can come from using same name for the event shoot and the function shoot.

Thank you, I’ll try renaming and see if that works :slight_smile:

Hi there

It appears since the video was made, this system works differently. I got it to work by casting first.

Thanks for the replies, much appreciated :slight_smile:

how did you get it to work???