nvidia rtx lightmap baking?

all they are working on Internally is fortnite

This does little to improve my work flow… a gtx 980, 980m, and gtx 780 render at 6.5 hours on one of my levels on highest quality… On original renderer it took about 7 or 8 hours on production quality with 4ghz i7 and 2 2.6 ghz i7s … (possible i upped the settings for volumetric lightmaps)

Either way both are over night processes plus this gpu renderer doesnt support lods or HLODS… it casts shadows on geometry that is larger (a proxy lod for example…)

Hi all!

Apparently Epic will share some info at SIGGRAPH 2018:

“Join Juan Canada and François Antoine in exploring the latest exciting ray tracing advancements in Unreal Engine. We’ll break down the roadmap of our new path-tracer and progressive lightmapper, then reveal our latest real-time ray-traced showcase”

Well, RTX does not do GI of any sorts. It’s used for raytracing area light shadows, reflections and AO. So there is hardly any use for it regarding baking lightmaps. GPU Lightmass is the fastest way of baking lightmaps at the moment but there is only 4.19.2 version, no updates for 4.20 yet.

Nvidia already showed a preview of the progressive lightmapper in UE4 earlier this year:

What the hell are you talkn about lol… have u not seen the videos of teh real tlime lightmap baking? Not hours but seconds…

Missed this one somehow, thanks man. Lol indeed. Looks nice, hopefully it will be integrated into the engine by Epics, not as a separate branch on the Github maintained by enthusiasts. Now, I have to go check the VXGI2 is building properly…

RTX is just generic easy to use ray tracing api that can be used with normal rendering pipeline. You can do anything with it. DICE did have demo where they used RTX to drive AI agents.

Exactly, that and it’s really low level, so it’s lightning fast.

Give us rtx in unreal already!!! :d

so… like 14 months later and still no lightmap baking with rtx… jeez…

Ray tracing has only been in the engine since April, and it’s still experimental. So no

Supposedly there’s some private prototyping going on with a new lightmap baker using raytracing. But there’s nothing public yet afaik.

right but we have seen youtube videos with it in there… before the current rtx features were ever released. Was the whole reason i bought my rtx card lol… still havent used it for much.

I haven’t seen any RTX light baking demos at all, the only references to it is ideas for doing it in the future

The demo you’re referring to was NVIDIA’s demonstration and their own tools that they’ve developed, which can be seen in this video at around 7:00 minutes: https://youtu.be/tjf-1BxpR9c?t=419

That demonstration is not something that was developed by Epic even though it’s using Unreal Engine 4. As pointed out on our own GDC Presentation for ray tracing features, it’s a future initiative that we will work on.

Please push it to the forefront of tasks… :slight_smile: