NVidia HairWorks?

Also regarding Epic’s own implementation, I think you’re safe there , as they’ve mentioned in other cases that it’s not feasible to support stuff like without a cross-platform option.

I was gonna give it a shot, too. But still waiting for SDK access. If you maybe want to join forces just shoot me a PM an we can work something out.

Sounds good, there is going to be a lot to do no doubt. I will PM you, or you PM me when and if access is granted.

The Witcher 3 is clearly using it. I thought it was DirectCompute Based.
From what I understand AMD users can enable HairWorks in Call of Duty: Ghosts as well, though I have no idea if there’s a major hit to performance for AMD.(Don’t play COD games so wasn’t that interested)
When Tomb Raider first came out I had to disable TressFX because it killed performance when close up.

Having multiple options is always Win-Win. Perhaps it will help drive some optimization competition.

Appreciate the efforts .

I used TressFX in Tomb Raider and it ran perfectly on my NVidia cards.

HairWorks looks a bit more impressive though imo

I’m quite sure Hairworks works on AMD, from what I’ve seen. Just like using APEX clothing and destruction. I have an AMD system and use the dev tools for those. I also have the hairworks software, but just lacking the support in engine / maya .

:sad sad face:

I really hope Epic aren’t going to cripple UE4 by only doing what can be made to work on mobile; people fully expect the desktop to be superior.

@: is not about crippling UE4 and focusing on mobile. Epic is building the engine to be accessible for a wider audience. :slight_smile: There is a conscious effort to work on mobile, but is not limiting what is able to be done on a desktop. There are features that currently do not work on Mobile, but as you can see with tech that is becoming more available, much more has come a long way from where it was a few short years ago. :slight_smile:

I think NVidia already has HairWorks for UE4. Actually, they might have all the Gameworks stuff integrated on their side.

Hope both companies will support these technologies well. If you release a game, you make it work well on both AMD and NVidia, with all its features. Seems fair so... A dev needs as wide audience as possible.

Is there any update on ? I would love to try out.

Please see the following thread for details:

Yes it is in the works, being implemented asap as per Nvidia :slight_smile:

To my known, what happens in the hair technologies uses to happen in almost everything.

If you use Nvidia hairworks, Nvidia only wants hairworks to work on nvidia graphic cards. (at some time they will be making legal actions to prevent to be used on amd cards, so double the effort because later you will have to develop a proper hair solution for AMD users)
If you use AMD tressfx 3.0, which is Open Source, you can use it with no problems in both AMD and Nvidia cards, so everyone is happy.

For that, I would seek more for an integration on the engine of AMD’s Tressfx. Its less work for developers.

They’ve probably said it before, but Hairworks doesn’t necessarily require Nvidia hardware, many of the Gameworks technologies are being made available that don’t require you to use Nvidia, Hairworks may be one of them but I’m not sure. With Gameworks, the stuff that requires Nvidia hardware is because it actually needs it to work, if it doesn’t actually need it, then they haven’t been restricting it.