NVIDIA GameWorks Integration

Nvidia’s branch is under the EULA as any other fork we can see in Epics GitHub organization, so it’s absolutly fine to use it and create commercial products with it. is generally true for all forks in the organization, as is required by the license.

I thought as much, just wasn’t comfortable saying so. Still I would recommend against my branch for commercial release, just due to instability.

I have released my first demo for HairWorks, I will continue to update it over time and add more assets (and change them when they move away from the blueprint design). Its pretty simple for now. Just launch and see different hair styles for the Epic guy. Press 1, 2 or 3 to wear that hairstyle and run around. Also assets are not very creative, mainly because I am not an artist. If you would like to contribute assets, let me know via PM.

Demo can be found in the NVTechDemos folder.

Thanks guys for helping me :slight_smile:

@ Thanks for sharing your build!

Minor, but looks like your build removes the Nvidia example levels. Still have the Nvidia Hairworks example level though.

(EDIT: saw the PDFs got moved)

Docs have been moved into the Doco directory. They should all be there. if I am missing any, let me know and I will add them. There are no NVIDIA examples in my branch. I will be creating my own. You can still use the NVIDIA examples from their branch but it requires updating them to 4.8

EDIT: The HairWorks example level in my branch is mine.

Curious to know if it’s just my scene or not, are you able to compile lightmaps on the merged branch, ? It’s getting to 35% and then crashing, with Windows blaming APEX_DestructiblePROFILE_x64.dll. The UE4 crash reporter is putting out an error that I’ve been getting in the official 4.8 preview 3 branch as well though (Assertion failed: (Index >= 0) & (Index < ArrayNum) [File:Insert long path ]), and I fixed it by pulling the source and compiling 4.8 from Github myself a few days after preview 3 came out. My guess is that there’s, unsurprisingly, a bug that preview 3 added that wasn’t in preview 2, that got fixed shortly after. I’m not too familiar with Git myself outside of the basic pull/commit (not a programmer so I never really had a need to use it), is there a simple way to update without undoing the changes you put in to make things work?

Im no git expert myself, I tend to break my branches anytime I try to update. I dont use lightmass, never built lighting before, so if there are issues with it, I wouldn’t know.

Saying that, I just tried myself and yeah crash. I’ll look through the commits since preview 3 and see if I can spot the one that fixed it.

EDIT: I rebuilt the UnrealLightmass program and lighting build fine time. Since I hadn’t rebuilt it since compiling the preview the first time. would probably not resolve your, unless you copied the contents of my branch into another 4.8 preview 3 build.

Recompiled UnrealLightmass, no change, it still crashes at the same 35% every time, with the same error every time. Ah well, it was worth a shot, at least it’s consistent across both branch and the official one on the launcher, meaning it’s probably not anything you or Nvidia’s branches did.

If you dont mind sharing, you could send me your project, and I could at least see if I can replicate. As I was working off a really simple scene

Sure, no problem. Might be a bit to upload, OneDrive is pretty slow to upload to (I think they’re mad at me for backing up my entire computer with 5TB of data to my account). I’ll put the link in post in the morning.

Even after bug is fixed, it’s a pretty good scene to break VXGI in I find. I know voxel based GI has leaking problems, but I have never seen it as bad as one can get. Usually the solution is as easy as just putting thicker walls to occlude the leaking, but with the way the windows are set up, there’s no real way to hide it from the player’s view, which presents an interesting problem that will need to be solved in general before dynamic GI becomes a universal solution.

I almost wish there was an invisible volume of some kind that you could place in the level that acts as occlusion for the GI but that you don’t actually see, or maybe a way to flag individual objects to bounce light but not get lit by it (and keep those objects lit statically).

Oh and of course, the scene is still incomplete. There are a few pretty obvious placeholder objects and there I have yet to replace, and I need to do a color correction pass on a monitor that’s actually calibrated properly.

Edit: The link to my project folder: https://onedrive.live/redir?resid=95C55783AFED164C!51968&authkey=!AOv3GliKnwtJVo0&ithint=file%2Czip

No idea, not an with the branch. Others have reported really slow speeds with cloning and such, not sure if that includes GitDependencies as well

Are we free to modify and use the example content? I.e. Could I ship a character using the hair from the examples? As long as the head pivots on the same spot (and has a cranium in the same place) I can save money on a Maya/ license! But it does require exporting out the example skeletal mesh to match these up…

Yes, you may do with the assets as you please.

We will be adding more examples, offering a range of behavior. I’ll put goo on the list.

Exactly. Your right to develop and distribute a game using Unreal Engine 4 and VXGI, HairWorks, FleX, HBAO+, WaveWorks, etc., is determined by the terms of the Unreal Engine 4 license.

Good news for me :slight_smile:
Thanks

@
Hi i downloaded your source code and compiled it.
But when i trying to open editor its crashing and trying me to send feedback to Epic

Edit:

Sorry for quick wanting help from you .
I checked logs and found
Fatal error: [File:Z:\Ue4nvidia\Engine\Source\Runtime\Engine\Private\ShaderCompiler\ShaderCompiler.cpp] [Line: 139]
Invalid ShaderCompileWorkerOutputVersion. Rebuild Programs -> ShaderCompileWorker to fix .

and then recompile ShaderCompileWorker now its working

@just in case you missed it, the project files: https://onedrive.live/redir?resid=95C55783AFED164C!51968&authkey=!AOv3GliKnwtJVo0&ithint=file%2Czip

Enjoy breaking VXGI with it!

As far as I’m aware there isn’t anything in there that should be breaking lightmap generation. It -does- work, just not in the base preview 3 build or the combined build. Wouldn’t be so bad if VXGI wasn’t getting some really bad leaking on the left wall in the first room and the ceiling in the second.

Edit: @., of course if you want, feel free to get it as well for testing. A large chunk of the scene is just modified example content, but the thin walls and overhanging roof present problems that VXGI seems to have trouble with. There are also a few other problems I noticed in the scene, like the Apex cloth I have doesn’t bounce any light with VXGI (neither diffuse nor specular work properly).

Sorry, yes I did miss it, downloading it now.

Hello.
Will these changes be integrated in https://github/EpicGames/UnrealEngine/ ?
When HairWorks will be available in main EpicGames repo?
Best regards, .