NVIDIA GameWorks Integration

Hi

I download HairWorks branch of UE4 from GitHub.
The project runs correct after I built engine source.

Then I import my own .apx or . apb files which is exported from HairWorks_1_0_Viewer, but editor report “Failed to import…Failed to create asset…” like message.
I try to trace source code and find GApexSDK return Serializer as none.

Do I miss any key point during the process when create or import the content?

I suspect you need v1.1 of the hairworks plugin. You will need to give you access to the tools if they are not available to the public yet.

Hi what’s the difference between v1.0 and v1.1 of the hairworks plugin ?? I already ask for an access to version but never recieve answer … may be too busy

You’ll need to use the HairWorks-1.1 viewer, I think. You should be able to grab it from developer.NVidia soon, it was supposed to be up already, but I just checked and it has not yet been published.

I’ll bring up with the VXGI devs today.

Does switching r.VXGI.MultiBounceEnable change rendering time at all?

Setting bVxgiMultiBounceSupport=false in BaseEngine.ini should reduce rendering time - insignificantly on a 980, but maybe it will help more on a 770.

How much does disabling static lighting help, and how does that affect the end result?

i’ve got both of these settings turned on, but doesn’t seem to make a difference when I set it to zero in the console.

In some cases, like for scenes with dark materials or scenes with a lot of direct lighting, the contribution of multiple bounces can be hard to notice. Please look at r.VXGI.DebugMode 3 to see if there is any difference in the emittance voxels. With multiple bounces, indirectly lit surfaces should be voxelized too.

i tried . when I toggle r.vxgi.multibounceenable between 0 and 1 there is no difference.

ok so i figured it out that i have to set r.vxgi.multibounceirradiancescale to something higher than 1 - .
Now when are they going to get particles working with ?

They’re working on it. Sorry for not having it all done at once, tied up with a ribbon and all that. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Scale greater than 1 is odd, but OK if it works for you… Can you share some pictures?

Making particles work with VXGI is our next goal.

Right, anyone who is trying to use HairWorks will need the 1.1 version of the DCC plugins for and Maya, and might want to read the docs for HairWorks, etc. Please send me a private message and we’ll sort out access, I’m not sure when the official release of HW will appear on developer.NVidia, so we have a temporary site set up that I have to configure manually for each user.

Multi-bounce only adds 1ms and improves quality significantly, so it’s not a problem. As for static lighting, vxgi doesn’t seem to take shadows from stationary lights into account. So one sunlight voxelizes all geometry and at much greater distance than a movable one for some reason. As for the quality, I already tend to not use static lighting, and have been developing a fully dynamic workflow. That being said, vxgi gives results that are very similar to static lighting if not better (mainly because of the specular tracing) and even without vxgi I’ve gotten very good results after some work.

Finally got around to doing a quick test of exporting a HairWorks asset from 3dsmax using the Hair and Fur modifier into UE4. Very smooth, no issues with the process.

v=Cyvw0fniTWY

@ Will you release the HairWorks plugin for Blender and support it one day (maybe other moedeling tools too)?

I don’t think we have any plans for a blender plugin. and Maya are enough work in themselves, I’m afraid.

Hi ,
I send yo a private message to request access to hairworks v1.1
Cheers.

Since you can Create a hair asset from a descriptor and data, would it be against any sort of agreement if someone from the community was to write a blender plugin and then write an import factory for importing the custom hair asset?

@ no problem.

@ in page 34, I highlighted some problems of VXGI from your official slideshows. Are they now solved? I also gave a link for another comment in another thread about a GI test in Cryengine using two bounces and multiple moving GI sources creating dynamic lighting and indirect lighting via two bounces when moving thus creating real reflections that result in voxels in reflections while moving (you can download the sample from the link of my comment on that thread). How are you managing movable GI sources? I hope you already solved most of the previosu problems you highlighted first like voxels in reflections for static meshes, so you can solve problems caused by movable ones and especially dynamic GI sources. Thanks