NVIDIA GameWorks Integration

[quote=“kostenickj, post:4979, topic:16686”]

I didn’t check your sources but in general, it’s good practice to find out something similar from the older engine version and then compare how Epic upgraded it for 4.20. I’ve used manual diffs for different engine parts in past to figure out bigger changes to some systems, they’ve been incredibly helpful.

QUOTE="; thank you we tried many time compare other branch but every time say manualy change we not know how we request to you please give any tutorial thank you :):):):slight_smile:

We desperately need HairWorks in 4.20. It’s probably don’t have much use in games (as pointed out), but in the growing Unreal animation field, I would say, it’s pretty important stuff.

Really glad to see that someone is working on it, thank you kostenickj! That’s real good progress there, I like the colors! ;D
Please keep it up and tell the community if and when it’s ready!

Alright guys, i think i got everything working. I was making a dumb mistake in DeferredLightPixelShaders.usf. They combined DirectionalPixelMain and RadialPixelMain into a single function and i got confused.

If someone wants to clone my branch and confirm everything works for them too, then perhaps @anonymous_user_74483c63 will want to merge my changes into his gamework branch.
Note: my branch has a few changes to skeletal meshes and the utilities that you will want to discard. Also, its 420.0, not 420.2

"kostenickj;
we try your branch compile again now but hir not show in view port and blue print while hairwork is show why???

Honestly i have no idea what you are trying to say/ask.

I know you tried my original branch even when i said it was broken, even when i clearly posted a screenshot that it was broken. The latest version of that branch works for me, update the code from that.

Nice, have confirmed it works on standalone built package too using hairworks demo scene? Besides checking that it builds without errors, please also check that when you run the executable it shows dynamic hair (I had issues with that on 4.18 so now extra cautious on verifying it actually works). 4.20.0 vs 4.20.2 doesn’t make much difference, if it’s 4.20.x it’ll merge into newest nicely.

It definitely works on the demo scene(s) for me in my build, that is where i did my testing. But i will make a standalone package with just the Hairworks assets and confirm tommorow. I’m currently at my real job and cant do it until then. If anyone else wants to confirm in the meantime go ahead!

Demo scene worked at the 4.18 editor too but it still failed to run on standalone. 4.19 HairWorks did work on both tho. Additionally, if you haven’t test packaged, it’s possible that the integration still breaks as there are often packaging related changes as well (but I don’t think there were big issues on when going from 4.19->4.20)

I Just tested in standalone, and in package development and shipping builds, and everything seems to be working! I think you are probably good to go to merge into your Gameworks branch.

EDIT: hold off until I figure out the bugs below

Hey kostenickj~ thanks for update!
So, I’ve pulled latest updates. It compiles without problems.
However opening example map, the HairWorks component inside BP actors doesn’t visualize hair. More over if I try to compile blueprint with HW component the editor crashes.
I’ve created new project with build and created empty BP actor and only added HW component. BP compile still crashes UE4. Debug on crash shows that HairWorksComponent.cpp on line 567 trying to access null by HairInstance.HairMaterial pointer.

[SPOILER]

[/SPOILER]

Hey, thanks for posting . I was able to recreate the crash and ill try to get that fixed ASAP. However, all the components that are already compiled are rendering fine for me.

I just opened every already compiled hairworks asset to check, and they are all rendering for me. Ill fix the compile bug, maybe its related to that.

If you run PIE in the example map does anything render?

[quote=“AyanMiru, post:4990, topic:16686”]

Hey kostenickj~ thanks for update!
So, I’ve pulled latest updates. It compiles without problems.
However opening example map, the HairWorks component inside BP actors doesn’t visualize hair. More over if I try to compile blueprint with HW component the editor crashes.
I’ve created new project with build and created empty BP actor and only added HW component. BP compile still crashes UE4. Debug on crash shows that HairWorksComponent.cpp on line

we face same problem weshow hairworks in blueprint but not hair whlie kostenickj many time load pic with hair. we download and compile again but same problem

so i added a check to not do that action if the HairMaterial is nullptr, and everything seems to be working including the compile/save. But i need to investigate to find out WHY its null. It doesn’t happen in the 4.19 version.

WOW.

I forgot to commit the HW Binaries Folder Binaries/ThirdParty.

That would explain why no one would see any hair. I had it locally but no one else did. I will commit that now. Apologies.

UPDATE: They are commited and hair should render now. But i still need to find the reason for the compile blueprint null material.

Hey, that was it :slight_smile:

Yes,simple if check did resolve that BP compile problem (btw, looks like you didn’t commit that), now it seems everything is working. I will give it to our artists to check out.
Thank you, again~

you do great job thank you can you make tutorial how make it

Ya i didnt commit that because it seems like a band aid. I think i will commit it now after thinking about it for a while. Im still going to try to figure out why its null though.

There is no better tutorial than looking at the code yourself and understanding what it does. Before one week ago I had never touched the rendering module.

can anyone n laymens terms tell me what needs to be done to merge into one build Ill do it im interested in that kind of thing