I finally figured this out, or at least started to last night. The tools were available they were just non-intuitive and required a lot of extra steps to “work”.
Here is what I did in case anyone else is having an issue.
- Within your Skeletal Mesh Click on Selection Tool
- Click on the “layer” of material that you want to simulate cloth
- Right Click
- Create Clothing Object
- In your LOD0 section on the left scroll down to the layer you selected
- Select the drop down for CLOTHING to be your clothing item from step 4
- Click on your Cloth painting tool in the toolbar (or under the WINDOW option in the menu, Clothing)
- Adjust your brush settings accordingly
- Click out of the brush tool to see your settings simulated
- Adjust sliders accordingly for different results
I hope the devs revisit this and make this a bit more user friendly. I.e. Click clothing paint tool. Click on your mesh. Confirm the layer. Paint.
Further, It would be great to have some preset options for clothing types to start as a “base” and then tweak from there. Too many options that affect things in weird and mysterious ways.