NV GeForce GT 635

I’m pretty sure I know the answer, but they say it never hurts to ask…

^That’s^ the graphics card on my new Desktop. Am I screwed as far as running UE4 goes?

And for around $200 more I could have gotten the GTX 745 instead. Just proves, it never pays to be chintzy. Not the greatest start for someone looking to get into indie game dev. If I’m stuck with Unity I’m going to laugh & cry…

You may get away with running the engine on the lowest scalability, however if that is your graphics card, I cannot imagine the rest of your PC setup being much more powerful so I would probably recommend getting an upgrade if you’re serious about developing in UE4.

Are those OEM GPU’s on the prebuild AIO Desktop or the “m” versions on the notebooks?

If they are OEM versions then you can replace it with any Desktop gpu you want when you will have funds for it.

So the “stuck” part can be fixed.

It might be a matter of your warranty for the pc if you replace it or just add it to the other pci-e slot.

If youre on laptop if you still can you could try to replace it depending on store policy if you “just” got it.

As for 635vs745 part.

UE4 will run on both. The only thing is how fast which also depends how heavy your scene will be.

Actually, the GC is the only serious shortfall. I got a mid-range PC though, so you might know how they beef up the specs in most areas and then drop the price by having a serious shortfall somewhere. Of course, NOW I see this. Last PC I bought was a Laptop going on 6 years ago now…

And I am very serious. I won’t hesitate to drop another $3-400 on Upgrading if UE4 is everything it seems to be…

OEM. And I can Upgrade immediately if necessary…

I THINK I have a second pci-e slot. crosses fingers I’ve never cared about Warranties anyway.

I DID just get this PC. 5 days ago now…

And I will be building very intensive scenes. I’m sure I should look into expanding my RAM too…

635 will be enough to run UE4 and get familiar with the editor until you will be able to get better gpu. As far as RAM, just check that type they are and how much you can put in those slots.

Straight from Dell the RAM only extends to 12GB. I kind of assume this is the limit, but I’ll certainly look into the possibilities… Thanks so very much!

Well, I’m learning at this point. so I imagine I’ll be keeping things on a smaller scale for at least a few months, while I figure out how to do everything my game needs. I’m just looking to Prototype for now, anyway…

The $200 is/was for the next tier of the PC line I went with, the XPS 8700. All kinds of additional tweaks to the specs in the next tier, aside from the Video Card, of course.

Thanks for the Link! It’s always nice we people point to things…

Yeah, I’m thinking the 750 will be fine. Even when the game requires more Polish than I can give it, someone else with a better setup will be taking care of business by then…

The editor and some games will actually run OK as long as you keep the requirements / size “small.”
However, a $200 “upgrade” to 745 from 635 sounds overpriced. You can just rip out that 635 and put in a GTX 750 Ti for $150: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IDG3IDO/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B00IDG3IDO&linkCode=as2&tag=enchage-20&linkId=DV7TIWKYUHZ6GDEV
I’d add another $100 and go for the 760, which will be enough for most modern games and reasonably complex level editing, but pretty much any “indie” game you’re likely to make yourself would be fine on the 750 too.