Nudge tool for prop placement?

Hello, I was wondering if you guys would be able to implement a feature when placing props that would randomly nudge props around when placing them. You could have a series of checkboxes to constrain in the X, Y, or Z axis, and have a range of translation/angle adjustment to have either subtle adjustments or extreme adjustments for larger props, this would save time when placing a row of props, my particular instance was a row of boxes that looked too perfect, but I’m sure others may have different uses as well.

Another idea I had came from the New Vegas creation kit, in their editor they can simulate props to use physics in theeditor and retain their positions after simulation, this would also help things look randomized and less perfect and would be a useful addition. If either of these features are already available I apologize as I am still learning the Engine. I also have some other ideas but alas I cannot recall them at this current juncture as it goes. Thanks!

Hi Chooie_

These features aren’t directly native to Unreal Engine, but there are ways to make it happen!

Using blueprints, you can create in-editor tools that automate tasks and help improve your workflow- transform tools are definitely possible (I use them myself!)
Here is the link to the upload of the “Educator Livestream: Building In-Editor Tools with Blueprints.”
The documentation can be found here.

I would also recommend the “Creating a Scatter Tool with Blueprints” course on “Unreal Online Learning.”

In regards to updating actor properties from simulations- this documentation should help with that.

Please feel free to reach out to the forums in the future with any questions, suggestions, or feedback that you might have!

I hope this helps!

Wow thanks a ton, that helped my level a lot. I am definitely going to be researching in editor tools, I didn’t know such a thing was possible.

You are more than welcome, Chooie_! Thank you for being a part of the community, and I wish you all the best with your research. Please do shout if you have any questions or need anything! :smiley: