NPC Dialogue Tutorial through Blueprints

Hey ,

I’ve been working on an NPC dialogue system through blueprints for the last 2 months or so and wanted to share the final result with you guys. Here is the tutorial to create an NPC dialogue system with nothing but blueprints.

Note: I do realize it would have been easier to do this with something like a data table, however I feel like this would have defeated the purpose of doing every aspect of the blueprint in blueprints without any other program to rely upon. This blueprint can certainly be improved and I would like to hear your thoughts, ideas, and how you have altered it to fit your needs!

If you have any questions please let me know, I’m more than happy to help.

That is one ugly (though witty) plucked chicken! But awesome tutorial! Thanks Man!

Great work! I really like the decision you made to keep it 100% BP.

One of the things that I might add on to the great foundation that you made are spelling the chicken’s response out 1 letter at a time, then after the response has been spelled out completely, show the available choices to respond to that when needed. Not super fast, but not super slow either it has to be just right so that when people look at the response spell out it flows nicely. Some other factors to consider are if you **** (the chicken’s name) off then the response is all caps and the speed at which the response spells out is very fast or almost instant. Or if is drunk, then misspell his response and vary the response speed at different times.

So basically in a nutshell, taking what you did and animating it a bit to inject more emotion and feeling behind the conversation.

[=breese45;181649]
That is one ugly (though witty) plucked chicken!
[/]

Lol, thanks, I made the Chicken as a test asset a long time ago and he makes his way around.

Hi JGrady1206,

I definitely like the idea of animating the text. The current iteration was a test to see if it was even possible to do the system without breaking anything. Animation may be something I consider adding in the future! I’m glad you guys like the tutorial!

Thank you for the awesome tutorial! :slight_smile:

I was looking around for some ideas on how to do this. Great tutorial.

Quick question though - is there a code / blueprint download somewhere ?

Thanks

Great work . Thanks for this!

Hi , I love the Dialogue system. One thing I would like to point out. One of my students attempted to use it and could not get the text to appear on the buttons. We had to turn off whether the Answer Variables were public. As soon as we made them private, they worked.