Nox - Open World Exploration Game

Hey guys :slight_smile: I’m working on my first game ever, Nox.

What is it?

Nox is many things. It is an open-world game. It is a virtual reality simulation. It has mysteries, and it has puzzles. It has things that are impossible.

Explore the world, or go along with the story. Fight monsters, or make peace with them. Swim in poisonous water, jump off cliffs into dark abysses, or hug trees. It’s all up to you.

Story

You wake up in a dark place, scared and alone.

Slowly, you stand up, as if worried you might wake something lurking in the dark.

All of a sudden, a bright light appears, and seems to beckon to you, wanting you to follow.

It speeds ahead as you follow, but stops long enough for you to catch up.

More colors start to appear, keeping the darkness at bay.

A yellow here, a blue there, always changing. Suddenly the white light stops, and the other colors start to dim.

Hesitantly, you walk up to it, unsure of what to do.

You slowly reach out a hand to touch it. As soon as you touch it, it explodes in a blinding flash and you feel lightheaded.

Dizzy, you sit down.

You wake up, again, in the same place as before. This time when you touch the light, you make sure to turn around and duck, avoiding being burned.

You get up, and a fierce determination to get out of this strange place seizes you.

Who am I?

I’m an indie game developer and I’d like to get my degree in level design. I’m making my game Nox, and I’ll be doing everything - story, level design, programming, music, etc. It’ll be hard, but it’ll be fun and it’ll be great.

I’d like to use the game to help me get into a good college - developing a game by myself and having people buy it would definitely make me unique!

If I can’t get Nox funded, I’ll have wasted 4 years of planning and story-writing, along with not having as good of a change as getting into college. All because of a much-needed $3000.

You can check out the kickstarter for Nox here and help me produce it!

**EDIT: Nox was just a test to get used to kickstarter! Check out our real kickstarter here: **

I would advise you to atleast put together a mechanics prototype (nothing fancy) and add this to your kickstarter. goodluck :slight_smile:

Nox is an action role-playing game developed by Westwood Studios and published by Electronic Arts in 2000 for Microsoft Windows. It details the story of Jack, a young man from Earth who is pulled into a high fantasy parallel universe and has to defeat the evil sorceress Hecubah and her army of Necromancers to return home. Depending on the player’s choice of character class at the beginning of the game (warrior, conjurer, or wizard), the game follows three largely different linear storylines, each leading to its unique ending

This is from wikipedia

Got any screenshots or video? You’ll get a lot farther on kickstarter if you have content to show off. Additionally, you’ll have an easier time recruiting team members if you can demonstrate your skill in a given area. I checked your website and couldn’t find any content there either :confused:

@iMuse - OK, I’ll do that. Thanks. :slight_smile:

@WarpSpasm - I had no idea there was already a game called Nox, I only chose the name because in latin in means darkness.

@samifira - Yeah, I’m putting together a video and some more screenshots.

you could probably use darkness or variation of such i think it sounds cooler than nox…at least now you know about westwoods game and can change name early if you think you need to…you probably would have to change it if you wanted to sell it but im not sure about that

it doesn’t just mean darkness, it also means night, night-time, nightfall, sleep, and dark. there other latin words that mean darkness you could use.

here’s a list of latin words and there meaning(from google translate) that might help you choose a new name if you decide to change it.

tenebrae = darkness, dark, turbidity, obscurity, gloom, dark place
tenebra = darkness, obscurity, night, dark corner, ignorance, concealment
caligo = mist, darkness, fog, gloom, dark, vapour
obscurum = darkness, dark
opscurum = dark, darkness
obscuritas = darkness, obscurity, dark, unintelligibility, meanness, lowliness
opscuritas = obscurity, dark, darkness, unintelligibility, meanness, lowliness
umbra = shadow, shade, darkness, ghost, dark, dusk
creperum = darkness

personally I like obscurum, sounds mysterious:)