Now... Where to start.

Hello everyone,

've started learning Unreal for the… 3rd time now? First time was a long time ago, second time was about a year or two ago. Now I want to give it another shot. I’ve watched many tutorials, but I’m just not sure where to start. I understand that this will take time to learn, I just feel like I need that extra bit of support at the beginning, so once I’m in it, if I find a problem I will be able to solve it via Google or whatever. I’m just rather overwhelmed with the whole engine and I’m looking for ideas on how to get started. I have an idea, a small idea, very small. I just want to see if I can make a simple platformer. Just one level. If I can do that, I feel like I’ll be ready to take on something else.

Thanks for the help,
Aerith

Hi,
I’m no expert, but if you left twice, maybe you did not take time to ask yourself why you want to learn UE4, what do you want to achieve, what do you enjoy most in this occupation, where do you dream to be in a decade about it?
State clearly your goals, picture precisely, like if you were already there, your most crazy dreams. Then tell yourself that nobody will ride you there, everything is possible if you got a preemptor thumb and a brain. Do it !

A platformer sounds a good project to experiment, do a very simple loop : start, platform to the end and game won or game over.
Then iterate again the whole loop, adding details, goals, insentive for the player to go forth.
And again,
and again…

Keep it up, don’t leave your dream to laziness or false excuse, you’ll master UE4 before you know it.

Start here https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=unreal+engine+endless+runner+tutorial

you want to make a simple platformer? that’s exactly how I started by using this tutorial by Alan Noon found here :

its about 3 videos total, about 1 hour each, but the stuff is really really good, I use a lot of what I learned still in 3d games even tho the tutorial is for a 2d platformer.

give it a go( I was able to follow along, even tho it was my first real project in unreal!- I recommend pausing OFTEN.), and if u have any questions, send me a private message, I will try and help you through it, I check the forums almost every day.

God Bless you. May Jesus Christ be charitable unto you.

Acts 10 : 33 - 48, google it, its Awesome.