[NOT A BUG] camera alignment lost when reopening project

Hi,
I’m experiencing issues when saving and reopening a project. This is a screenshot of the cameras alignment:

before-saving.JPG

you can see many cameras properly aligned and the outline of the model (sparse point cloud). Indeed the subsequent reconstruction comes out quite well.

After saving the project, and reopening it, this is what I get instead:

reopening.JPG

i.e. model outline is gone, cameras are mostly gone and those few which are showing are mislpaced.

This happens 95% of the times (or even always) since a couple of weeks.

Another connected bug is that the alignment sometimes fails the first time. RC generates a fake alignment, like the one in the second picture, the first time I click on Align Images, then generates a perfect alignment if I repeat the alignment (without closing the program or the project). This happens roughly 50% of the times. But then saving and reopening behaves always as above.

any clue ?

thank you

Please make sure you select the proper component after reopening the project.

By default it selects the first one which may not be the one you did a reconstruction on.

thanks for the answer. I did not even know ther were components, how do I ensure I select the correct one ?

The correct one is typically the component that has the most cameras aligned. But it really depends on what you have.

You can actually re-run alignment with the option “Merge Components only” set to TRUE to try and reduce the number of components and increase the number of cameras aligned as one component.

ShadowTail wrote:

Please make sure you select the proper component after reopening the project.

By default it selects the first one which may not be the one you did a reconstruction on.

exactly, change the left 2Ds panel to 1Ds view and select the model with the most cameras aligned there

wow, didn’t know this. Looks like this is the problem. Now, where is the option to merge the components ?

thanks !

found it. Aligment –> Settings –> Advanced –> Merge components only

not sure I understand how it works though

Anyway this is clearly not a bug