Noob question about Landscapes and Layers

Hello,

Im a quite new here, and i have a question…

I would like to know how to apply a terrain layer with a higher resolution on a heightmap with lower resolution… As i seen it in one old UE game.

For Example:

When I want to add the Layer,… One of the Layer options is “Import from file” option, but my 8bit .png file have higher resolution than the Heightmap i used, so when i try to use that Layer file i get “The Layer file’s size (1024x1024) does not match the current Landscape extent (256x256), if you continue it will be padded/clipped to fit” and after i agree with importing i see only a small portion of the layer mapped to the Landscape.

So far, i tried these with no luck :frowning:

1. I’ve tried to scale imported heightmap and add the layer, but with no luck. (the layer had low detail)
  2. In Paint Mode i tried to use the .png Layer file as mask, with the same results.
  3. Last time, i tried to create a 1024 x 1024 Landscape, but i am not able to… (the editor let me create max. 1021x1021, well, according to the Landscape Technical guide this is the closest resolution i can get, since some vertexes are shared between components, or i am wrong?) Then i used Gismo to import the heightmap to the Landscape, but im not quite satisfied with the outcome, because on one side of the terrain edge it looks like as the landscape is filled in, and i am afraid that it could create problems when i attach the other landscape to this one.

So, is there a way how to make this happen?

Look at using the LandscapeCoords Node in your shader:

I tried that, used the number 256, and your solution didn’t worked.

Your heightmap resolution (at least that’s what i call it) is 1021 x 1021.

These changes affect only texture quality on layers i used, and not the amount of detail from the layer itself.

With these settings the textures looks like they just have been taken from the washing machine.

Resolution of landscape layer is identical to resolution of landscape at least this is what I concluded(I remember saw it on documentation),this can be unconvenial,but what do you trying to achieve?if you want clear layer blends,try “texture height blend”

One of the Layer options is “Import from file” option, but my 8bit .png file have higher resolution than the Heightmap i used, so when i try to use that Layer file i get “The Layer file’s size (1024x1024) does not match the current Landscape extent (256x256), if you continue it will be padded/clipped to fit” and after i agree with importing i see only a small portion of the layer mapped to the Landscape.

I have no idea how to fix it. Yet.

dont use differnent texture/landscape resolution,it cause problem,usually people export desired resolution 16bit png from third program like world machine,are u using a regular image?just sacle the resolution to supported resolution ousides ue4,if you want to do big detailed landscape,use professional terrain software.