Non Physics Actor Moving Physics Actor Question

Hey everyone! I have a question about how Physics work in ue4.

For example, I was trying to make an elevator that only works when there’s enough weight on it, but i can’t seem to get it to work, like when the elevator moves down it leaves the items behind and stops, then the items fall and it starts, then repeats. How do I get the items to move with the elevator? To clarify, the elevator is not simulating physics, but the items are. Do you have any suggestions on how to make something like this? I hope this isn’t something super obvious that I’m just not thinking of! Thanks in advance!

Hello, can you post a video or link to a video?

Here you go, is this what you wanted? It took awhile to find a way to record the video!

What’s in the video doesn’t appear to be what you described. So, this really helps.

Have you tried changing the elevator’s class to PAWN?

I just tried it, and it was doing the same thing. I also tried everything I did when it was an Actor, and tried using the Floating Pawn Movement too, but got the same results. When I increase the speed, and the elevator moves up, it sends the items flying upward, and when it moves down, the items get left behind instead of jittering like in the video. I’m using an Overlap Event to check if stuff is on or off of the elevator, if that matters.

I’ve also tried these too:

Changing Tick Group on both the elevator and the boxes

Attach Actor to Component and Attach Actor to Actor, with and without Weld Simulated Bodies

Get Overlapping Actors and Set World Location / Add World Off Set

Hi, it seems like your cube is leaving collision when your elevator moves. You should consider moving the overlaping actors with the elevator when it’s being animated.
Also, you might want to have a look at this experimental checkbox called Motion-Aware Collision Detection, it did some testing and seems to improve things when it comes to sudden interpenetration and sudden spike in velocity.

1 Like

Make sure to hit “reply” or I will not get your responses.

I forgot to mention that you should make your boxes reclassed to the CHARACTER class as well.

If you do not want to do this, you should check this out:

However, what I suggested SHOULD work, assuming you blueprint everything correctly. (Elevator → PAWN, Boxes → CHARACTER).

1 Like

Hello, can you post a video or link to a video?

you might want to turn off the boxes’s physics when they attached to the platform.
Or like @Leomerya12 said. use character for box class.it might be a valid workaround.because I see the character didn’t jitter while the platform moves.

1 Like

Thanks, I’ll check into Motion-Aware Collision Detection. Also how do I move the overlapping actors with the elevator when it’s being animated? I tried Set World Location / Add World Off Set, is there another way?

Oops, I thought I hit reply to yours, how did I make that mistake?

I’ll try what you suggested, that topic does look similar to what I’m saying, so I’ll try that too. Thanks!

I you want to keep the Physics on then both Set World Location / Add World Off Set should do the work, make sure to check Teleport on the node so the movement doesn’t count as acceleration.

2 Likes

Yep, that fixed it! I set them both to Teleport and it’s not jittering or anything, thanks!

1 Like