Non-friendly UX in UEFN: Multiselection (+ solutions)

Multiselection in UEFN simply cannot be understood or used by a beginner. Here is why:

1. It requires a specific keybind to work (rectangle select) that is not shown anywhere (Ctrl+Alt+ hold mouse button). I would instead set left mouse button hold to do that, both click holds are currently camera pan and that seems superfluous, leave right click to be the pan only.

2. Everytime you rectangle select, you also select WorldDataLayers and WorldPartitionMiniMap, and because those are locked from being moved, you rectangle selection will have no translation controls.
    UnrealEditorFortnite-Win64-Shipping_pkpOrRWxlo

3. So you are like, fine let me unselect those two so I can move the selection. The outliner doesn’t show you the selected group of actors, so it’s impossible to find WorldDataLayers and WorldPartitionMiniMap in the outliner when you have 1k + actors (20k is the avg we do on our projects to give a rough number). You have to click the little cog icon in the outliner, then press “Show only selected” which adds a lot of extra steps simply to select a selection of actors.

UnrealEditorFortnite-Win64-Shipping_ExLn396X3X

Solution:

1. Add a “cannot be selected in viewport” translation setting, which exists in the right click menu of the actor. Actors that have that cannot be left-click selected, only right-clicked so you can disable the setting.

2. Apply the above setting by default in all projects to WorldDataLayers and WorldPartitionMiniMap

3. Rectangle select to be left click hold, not Ctrl + Alt + left click hold

4. When you rectangle select, “Only Selected” becomes active, and you can toggle it in the same outliner settings menu. After that, when selecting a single prop, it becomes inactive.

Thank you for your feedback. While I cannot guarantee a response, I can confirm that this has been forwarded to the appropriate team.