NoesisGUI - User Interface

Yes, we support all those platforms. HTML5 and VR platforms are not supported though. But we are working on it.

Isn’t VR support just rendering a 3D widget which you already do?

Ok wow, that sounds very helpful :slight_smile: I will definitely look into this and probably use it in my projects!! I like WPF after all!

Packaging just works. For the platforms for which we provide a static library, it gets linked into the final binary and that’s the end of it. For the platforms for which we provide a dynamic library, the runtime binary is packaged along with the game during the build process. No extra prerequisites to install, other than Unreal’s own.

Hi, I just pushed a new version to GitHub. I’ve added a Project URI Root to Edit > Editor Preferences > Plugins > NoesisGUI Editor. It’s a per-user setting, to allow for different directories on different computers, in case the sources are not part of the same repo. After import, the folder structure of the assets will still mimic that of the source files.

Let us know if you run into any problems.

I upgraded to 4.19 and installed the plugin. The problem is now it imports the xaml to the root content folder. I’d prefer it save it in an __ folder than no folder at all! For now i’ve reverted to not setting a root.

I thought that’s what you were referring to when you talked about matching the directory structure. I think it should be pretty straightforward to import the assets into the current folder in the content browser.

I am against giving control of the paths to the user, if there is no sensible default. Some people might not care about the directories, as long as the paths are already set reasonably. (people like me)

So you don’t care where it puts all the files? I like project organization.

Hi George,

I’m sorry I fumbled this one a couple of times. I gave it another shot, and I think I got it mostly right this time around. Now the assets are placed in the UE4 folder where you import them. So say, if you import HUD.xaml that references Resources/Resources.xaml into /Game/UI, then you end up with two NoesisXaml: /Game/UI/HUD and /Game/UI/Resources/Resources. But there are still problems with absolute URIs. Say that same HUD.xaml references /GlobalResources.xaml. I know you’re importing into /Game/UI, and I can put assets with relative paths in folders relative to /Game/UI, but ultimately I need a way to map the root of your project to a folder in Unreal to be able to place assets referenced by absolute URIs in their correct place, which is what was achieved by having the Content folder be the root for absolute URIs, mapped to the /Game Unreal folder. So we’d need not only the ProjectURIRoot, but also the location that it maps to in Unreal.

Fortunately, that is exactly what the AutoReimport settings do. You can map the source of your XAML project to /Game/UI, and all the changes are automatically picked by Unreal and the assets imported as if they were placed in Content/UI.

So what I was thinking was: Ditch the ProjectURIRoot setting, and use the AutoReimport settings instead. If you’re importing a XAML that’s inside one of your AutoReimport directories, URIs will be relative to the mount point. Following with the previous example, /GlobalResources.xaml, referenced using an absolute URI, will result in the creation of NoesisXaml /Game/UI/GlobalResources. And, as previously, the Content directory will map by default to /Game.

Do you consider this a good solution?

No thats not the case. As I said, as long as the default file directories are set to sensible defaults, I don’t think it will really matter much. It’s something you can get easily used to.

Actually what i’ve done now is map my UI project to my unreal project, so in content i have:
Frontier/UI

and in my UI project i have:
Frontier/UI
Frontier/UI/Controls
etc…

The first 75% of this stream is me doing Noesis stuff and sorting out various import errors and how you can fix them:

How easy is this to use for beginners, does this work like Widgets and UI Blueprints?

It’s very easy, although if you don’t have VS/Blend writing xaml in notepad isnt fun. I might make a video on the weekend going over the basics - xaml is very fun to use!

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to let you know that we’ve updated the plugin and the samples to add support for UE4.20.

​​​​​​​You can find the plugin here: GitHub - Noesis/UE4Plugin: NoesisGUI Integration to UE4

And the samples here GitHub - Noesis/Tutorials: NoesisGUI samples (C++, C#, Unity, Unreal) and here GitHub - Noesis/UE4-ShooterGame: ShooterGame using Unreal and NoesisGUI.

Please let us know if you need more information or run into any problems.

Will this work on Switch?

Yes, it will. Not right now, but we already have Switch devkits at our offices.

Hi everyone,

We’ve updated the plugin to support UE4.21.

You can find the plugin here: GitHub - Noesis/UE4Plugin: NoesisGUI Integration to UE4

And the samples here GitHub - Noesis/Tutorials: NoesisGUI samples (C++, C#, Unity, Unreal) and here GitHub - Noesis/UE4-ShooterGame: ShooterGame using Unreal and NoesisGUI.

Please let us know if you need more information or run into any problems.

Hello,
Just make one mini tutorial, it mainly focus on first step to use NoesisGUI in Unreal Engine 4. It includes three section: WPF section,Blueprint Section, Code Section. Source code included.
Hope it may help.Click below link to see the details of the tutorial.