NodePrefabs - Fast access to common node configuration and heavily used nodes

Introduction
NodePrefabs are Assets that hold the clipboard information of graph nodes and provides you with a neat SHIFT+RIGHTCLICK menu to access your prefabs. Only NodePrefabs that can be pasted into the current graph will be shown in the menu. It can be used in any GraphEditor (Blueprint, Material, Sound, Animation, BehaviorTree, …).

Special: A NodePrefab that contains a single comment will behave as if placing a comment the usual way. That means it will also wrap around selected nodes.

thanks to Luos - Yoeri Vleer for the video

The examples are only examples! If you are placing down the same Nodes over and over again, doing the same configurations over and over again, then NodePrefabs is here to give you a smile.

Manual + Example

Marketplace
https://www.unrealengine.com/marketp…ct/nodeprefabs

FAQ
Why use this when I can just use Blueprint Function Libraries and Macros?
[SPOILER] Yes, you can wrap lots of things in a function, AND YOU SHOULD DO SO IF YOU CAN!

**The plugin is not created **to encourage you to create copy&paste code. But if you want to use it for that, go for it.

I need a PrintString with a Append node attached 95% of the time I need a PrintString. You can wrap the PrintString in a function, you can also wrap it with the Append node, but then you can’t use the append Node when the wrapping function is placed in the Blueprint. So you would be able to Wrap the PrintString and preconfigure it, but still need to attatch the Append Node. Thats what NodePrefabs prevents. It gives you that with 2 clicks, WITHOUT SEARCHING for both nodes. You can also wrap your PrintString in a function and then place the wrapped PrintString with a Append in a NodePrefab. Thing is, I often still need to adjust things about the PrintString, so wrapping it is no use for me, as I still need to expose all Parameters again.

Same for Comments, You can wrap a Comment in a function, but then you will need to open the function to see the Comment… Just selecting some nodes and Spawn a TODO Comment around it, saves me lots of time, as I want my TODOs to be red and color the Zoom-Bubble and have TODO written into it. Means I have to make this node configuration every time. I don’t want to do that and NodePrefabs eliminates exactly this configuration overhead.

If its just about a single node like a ForLoop, you always have to search for it. We have some BlueprintLibraries that bring up much more results when searching for things which makes it much more difficult to find the right thing. With NodePrefabs you can get it in 2 clicks.

Yes, there is the palette window and it also shows favorites. But Unreals Editor takes lots of screen space already and every Tab you can save, makes work easier as you have less noise in the interface and more space for important stuff.

The Editor settings for NodePrefabs help you out when working in a team. Using the filter options, everyone can have their own NodePrefabs for what he things will save on his sanity.

The examples are only examples! If you are placing down the same Nodes over and over again, doing the same configurations over and over again CAUSE YOU **CAN’T **WRAP THAT IN A FUNCTION, then NodePrefabs is here to give you a smile.

[/SPOILER]

Changelist
[SPOILER]
Version 1.2
-Update to Unreal 4.26
Version 1.1
-Changed from STreeView to SGraphActionMenu. This change exposes the well known search bar to NodePrefabs. It can be toggled on/off in the editor settings.
-Added editor setting for the default color for a NodePrefab
-Drag&Drop. You can now drag and drop NodePrefabs into Graphs. The tooltip will tell you you can’t but you can! (Graph must match the Prefab for sure). The placement of nodes works exactly the same as when spawned via the graph menu (single Comments will wrap selected nodes)
-The asset is now located in miscellaneous category
[/SPOILER]

I’m happy to announce the release of the plugin. It is available for UE4.22+ :slight_smile:

Must have plugin for anybody who uses materials! (or bp’s, sounds, anim bp’s)

Version 1.1
-Changed from STreeView to SGraphActionMenu. This change exposes the well known search bar to NodePrefabs. It can be toggled on/off in the editor settings.
-Added editor setting for the default color for a NodePrefab
-Drag&Drop. You can now drag and drop NodePrefabs into Graphs. The tooltip will tell you you can’t but you can! (Graph must match the Prefab for sure). The placement of nodes works exactly the same as when spawned via the graph menu (single Comments will wrap selected nodes)
-The asset is now located in miscellaneous category

Feature Requets:
-A way to direct the plugin to a folder outside of the project so I can use these among multiple projects.
Dropped. Did not try to implement it, but might cause lots of trouble, especially with source control and content management of the engine.
-Keep the shift > rightclick tab open, so I dont have to re-open the category group each time.
Instead the category expansion state should be saved. Got it working, but needed to drop it again for the search bar. SGraphActionMenu does not let me access the category items. I added a pull request to the engine but it was rejected without reason.