No sound in PIE and stand alone (UE4.26.2, Win 10)

I have googled and tried various solutions for more than 4 hours, but no success. Here goes.

As the title says, I get no sound when playing in PIE or stand alone. Following some more information and things that I tried, starting with most important:

• Sound works fine in a newly created third person example project. I have compared inis in ProjectName/Config between this and my project and undid all differences that were not related to project name or path.
  • Deleted all temporary folders (Saved, Intermediate, Binaries, DerivedDataCache) and re-generated in hope of nuking this suspected project related volume setting, no success.
  • When turning the real time audio slider up, the preview port gives correct audio.
  • Sound Cues play fine in editor.
  • Enable Editor Sound and Enable Game Sound are set in Editor Preferences.
  • No warnings in the UE4 log.
  • I had removed the VR plugins and controls from the project. Doing so in the dummy project made no difference, sounds play nice there still.
  • Stand Alone shows up properly as separate application in Windows 10 sound mixer as does editor.

So no driver or system level problem and the editor/ue4 in general seems to be capable of producing sounds, too. It seems to me that there is a volume setting for my project that I can’t see or find.

Please help.

I have an accidental solution, I guess. When I changed the blueprint an actor in the level was referencing, it caused the editor to build some shaders/materials. No wonder I previously deleted all temporary folders. After starting the game, the sound was working.

Great, I guess? Maybe the shader building caused a cache to be cleared or something which fixed the issue.

I have found the real reason, in my blueprint I had a Media Sound/Media Player Component above the sound cue. When I changed the other blueprint mentioned in my other reply, my code would spawn 40 of these blueprints with the Media Sound component. Removing the Media Sound component restored thesound of thewhole application.