No shading / global illumination behind raytraced translucent material

Hello. I’m trying to achieve a good looking glass for my archviz project, and I would like to use raytraced translucency for my windows, but when I set it up, everything behind the glass loses its shading, as if there was no global illumination.

These are my Post Process settings.

I have already set it to DirectX 12, checked hardware raytracing and all of those options. I have already watched multiple times Will Faucher videos about translucency and glass but I can’t get rid of this problem.

1 Like

This is the current state when you set trancelucency to ray tracing. It won’t show you lumen GI behind the window. You would need to set GI or shadows to ray tracing as well. Ray tracing can’t see what lumen does.

Do you mean these parameters in the image? I set everything in the Post Process Volume to Ray tracing and still it doesn’t work.

Did you enable ray tracing in the project settings? I had problems myself switching between Lumen and Ray Tracing in a project. I’m not sure what caused this. If it doesn’t work maybe try to create a new project with your desired settings and then migrate everything over to this project.

You have to choose what works best for you. This image has Raster Translucency and Lumen Reflections:

The next image has Lumen Reflections but with ray traced translucency. Try to ignore the bloom. I should have taken the same angle as the other image.

It looks great with Lumen from a side angle but not so great when looking directly into the glass. I’m not sure what is best at the moment. I’m willing to make compromises with the reflections to have better and faster GI but not everyone thinks that way.

Yes, I enabled all Ray tracing related options and set DirectX12. In project I can use a PPV to switch between Lumen and Raytracing.

I can see in the second image that the GI behind the glass has my same problem. I guess I have to compromise and go with Raster Translucency or better have Ray traced Translucency but with unchecked Refraction.

1 Like

Just turn off the refraction in the Ray Tracing Translucency Rollout (and set Max refraction rays to 0).

Yes, you will not get ray traced refraction, but at least you will get sharp ray traced reflections on your windows, instead of those blurry ones. You will still have to use the restarized refraction which is a bit sad, but refraction on glasses and vases on the dining table looking a little bit off is IMO much smaller problem than all glass surfaces in the scene having blurry reflections.