No read-only option in 'Text Box (Multi-line)'

In a ‘Text Box (Multi-line)’ object in UMG, there are appearance parameters for ‘when the box is read-only’. However, there is no way to make it read-only.

Setting it to disabled is not a valid work-around as that makes the text grey, i.e. it ignores the ‘when the box is read-only’ appearance parameters.

PS The ‘Editable Text’ object has a read-only setting but this object is no good for my purposes.

I don’t see any way to make it read-only, either.

Hello Bob3DGames,

I have written up a request and I have submitted it to the developers for further consideration. I have also provided a link to the public tracker. Please feel free to use the link provided for future updates. As far as a workaround. I would suggest wrapping your text box in an overlay and then place an image with an opacity of 0 over it. Thank you for your time and information.

Link: Unreal Engine Issues and Bug Tracker (UE-40720)

Make it a great day

You can set its visibility to [Hit Test Invisible]

For me this did exactly what I wanted on a editable text (the one liner version tho)

You can set its visibility to [Hit Test Invisible].

For me this did exactly what I wanted on a editable text.

Depending on the desired behavior this can do exactly what you want.

That might be enough. However, it would be preferable for it to be possible for the user to select and copy text. This means it needs to be read only, rather than blocked from clicking completely.

For now, I’ll use your suggestion though, so thanks for that. I should have thought of it myself!

Thanks , This would be perfect for a pause menu stats board. It would look exactly like GTA 5’s player stats menu if you have ever seen that.

This worked for me, see image attached. I only set Multi Text field to Hit Test Invisible, the scroll box is still visible so i can go up and down. Thank you!

hi i came across same problem , the multiline text box was used to display chat messages but then i realised players could click on the text box and change all the mesages .

you can overide a function and handle the events yourself

ok so in youre widget override the function OnPreviewKeyDown
in this function get a reference to the textbox then do a check to see if it has focus then handle the events

all im doing here is simply if the widget has focus clear the focus this makes it behave like read only but you can still scroll , highlight text etc

Thank you for the work around. It provided very useful as I ran into the exact same issue.