No Occulus Rift in Germany?

Hi,

just read in the news that the Oculus Rift will not be able for sale in Germany.
The reason is that a German Compoany already has trademark right on the name.
Occulus tried to reach a settlement but the compoany rejected.

Doesnt seem to be a late April fools joke… Several news sources reported it…
Have you guys heard about it?

Cheers,
Klaus

Read about it. It’s unfortunate, but it only means that Oculus VR can’t release their product in Germany under the name Oculus VR and Oculus Rift.
In defense of the German company Oculus Optikgeräte: From what I’ve read Oculus VR knew of them when they founded their company and it was very naive to think that it won’t come to this, especially with both companies making products in some way related to optics.

You can also still import Oculus Rift to Germany, so it isn’t too much of a problem, but you won’t see it in German stores.

All they need to do is change the name of the Rift for Germany. Tomura your quite right, it was stupid of them to name it that if they knew earlier. Hope you get your Rift KVogler. I don’t have one but I get to mess with them often. They are awesome. :slight_smile:

Well, there are several other companies with EU trademarks containing “oculus”: https://oami.europa.eu/eSearch/#basic/1+1+1+1/oculus

As far as I know (and I’m not a lawyer), you have to defend your trademark otherwise you’ll loose the rights to it. So it’s just a normal lawyer-lawyer thing and in the end there’ll be an agreement.

They will surely sell it under another name. Otherwise you can still buy it online from various shops or you can import it . (hopefully they will be abel to sell it there) :smiley: