No networking blueprints work in my project

Hi, I’ve been trying to get blueprints to start multiplayer games and whatnot, and I watched Epics video and downloaded IronFox’s project to see how to set it up using game instance to control important stuff. (I have custom Game Instance, Pawns, Player Controllers…)

problem is that none of those session commands work. It doesn’t log any errors or give me any information that I can find as to why. IronFox project works. Mine doesn’t, so it’s not a network problem. And I’ve set up blueprints exact same way.

Oh and the [OnlineSubsystem] stuff I’ve seen does nothing. I am not using any C++ only blueprints.

Hi Scruffy,

OSS stuff is necessary to use networking in your game, and doesn’t involve C++. Go to your project folder and open DefaulEngine.ini file in Config folder. It should open in a text editor. Add this to file and save:

[OnlineSubsystem]
DefaultPlatformService=Steam

[OnlineSubsystemSteam]
bEnabled=true
SteamDevAppId=480
bVACEnabled=0

This is default found in Multiplayer Shootout example found in Learn tab. If you need to, you can download that as a reference.

Hope that helps!

Ha it works now! Thanks heaps! Haha now I can finish my game! Well, start it really… Putting default as Null like some people suggested hadn’t changed anything but putting it as Steam works a treat. Does this mean that it will work in Steam straight up or do I have to do something else for steam servers?

Not quite, there’s a bit more setup involved:

But as far as DefaultEngine.ini is concerned, that should be all you need.