No more prereq in packaged game?

Hey !

I recently had to install my packaged game on a quasi vanilla windows 10, and at first run i got an error message “DirectX runtime missing”.

I have the “install prereq” option checked in the project settings.

Last time i installed on a fresh OS (maybe around 4.5 ou 4.6), the game automatically proposed to install the prerequisites. Never tried it since.

Also, i couldn’t find any UE4PrereqSetup*.exe in the packaged directory, although they are present in the engine installation dir (PF/Epic Games/UE_4.15/Engine/Extras).

I could take EU4PrereqSetup_x64.exe and run it on my machine, but i don’t want to do that as i’m not going to ask the users to do so, to i’d like it all packaged in game as it was before.

Am i missing something in my settings ?

Thanks !

Cedric

Hello uced,

I have a few questions for you that will help narrow down what issue it is that you are experiencing.

Quick questions:

1. Can you reproduce this issue in a clean project?
  2. If so, could you provide a detailed list of steps to reproduce this issue on our end?
  3. Could you provide screen shots of any settings that may be involved?

Additional information:

The Include Prerequisites option should be checked true by default.

Recent builds of the editor have an option for staging “app local dependencies”, meaning that it will copy all the DLLs from a folder of your choosing to the output directory containing your executable. It’s in the project packaging settings menu, under the advanced section, and called “Applocal Prerequisites Directory”. If you have access to GitHub, you can point it at the Engine/Binaries/ThirdParty/AppLocalDependencies directory and have it include all the Visual C++ 2015 DLLs with your packaged game.

Hey Rudy,

Thanks for your answer !

Here is a short video i made reproducing the problem from scratch with a blank blueprint project.

link text

The PC i’m working on is my dev server, with everything installed, i can launch the packaged game on it with no problem (i didn’t show it in the video).

The second machine is an online windows 10, with nvidia drivers up to date and directX 12 installed, i can launch steam and play steam games on it with no problem.

But when i launch my packaged game on it, i get the missing prereq message as you will see.

Please let me know if you need anything else.

Thanks

Cedric

After doing a bit more digging I was able find that this is a known issue. I have provided a link to the public tracker. Please feel free to use the link provided for future updates.

Link: Unreal Engine Issues and Bug Tracker (UE-43812)

Make it a great day