No collision with static objects

Hi

I have seen this bug reported previously, but it wasn’t acknowledged.

I have just converted my project from 4.10 to 4.11 and all character class objects fall through the level (static environment) but can collide with dynamic objects.

I changed the collision capsule in 4.10 to be a Custom, Physics Only capsule due to the capsule blocking traces even though all trace channels are set to ignore, and this worked perfectly fine in 4.10.
However in 4.11, I must change the capsule to Physics and Query in order for Character classes to not fall through the level.
I am happy with this, so long as the capsule no longer has the bug where it blocks trace channels despite them all being set to ignore…I am yet to test to see if this is the case though as I don’t think it was reported as a bug previously.

To reproduce this bug, do the following:

1. Create new Third Person Blueprint project

2. Open ThirdPersonCharacter Blueprint

3. Go to Capsule Component properties

4. Set Collision Presets to “Custom”

5. Set Collision Enabled to “Physics Only”

6. Compile > Save

7. Play and fall through map

I hope this helps. Otherwise, is this an intentional change in the way the capsule handles collision?

Temporary work around for those with the same problem.

Change the Collision Enabled to “Physics and Query”

Hello,

After some testing, it seems that this behavior is by design.

Based on what you said about the capsule blocking trace channels in 4.10 regardless of the settings, this is most likely why you were seeing this work in 4.10, but not in 4.11. The issue with the trace channels may have been resolved, which would explain why the collision is no longer working when set to physics only.

What you are attempting to do is set a non physics object to only react to physics collision, but the object itself is not simulating physics, and as such there is nothing for it to react to. If you notice, when you enable simulate physics on the capsule with physics only set as the collision enabled, the capsule collides with the floor as expected. Now, it’s definitely not usable in this state, but it just does a good job of showing exactly why the physics only preset is not giving you the desired results after all.

Having the Collision Enabled as Physics and Query will work in most cases, and if you need something more specific, I always recommend using a Pawn class instead of Character, as it allows for more flexibility in terms of how you set up the base class.

Let me know if you have any additional questions.

Have a great day

Thank you for your response Sean, that makes sense, and perhaps I should test out the channel traces in 4.11 now as I know it was an issue for quite a few people in previous versions.
Sorry I haven’t replied sooner, I haven’t been able to jump into UE4 in a little while so haven’t been able to do further testing unfortunately.

Thank you again, keep up the awesome work :slight_smile: