No camera movement when capturing video

Hello dear Unreal Users!
I’m working on a very simple archviz camera animation and I’m having this strange sequencer problem - all cameras are moving properly when played in viewport but there is no camera movement when i try to render the sequence to a video file. It does switch all the cameras in the correct order and the fade track also works properly, but it looks like the transform track is being completely ignored for some reason. I’ve already tried rebinding cameras manually but it didn’t work. I’m really confused. Does anyone know how to fix this?

So you definitely have a Camera Cut track that switches between the cameras?

Set the Level Sequence to autoplay and see if it works in PIE mode. Maybe there is a a Pawn or other Blueprint in the level that is stealing the camera via Blueprints or auto-possess.

1 Like

Thank You!
Yes, 15 cameras in a CameraCuts track) Yes I’ve already tried enabling that Auto Play mode, it starts moving all the cameras when capturing to *.AVI file but i get this weird 2 second delay for every camera before it starts moving.

Everything Works just fine with no delays in sequencer, viewport and PIE, so i only get this no camera movement issue in two cases:

1. Trying to render the sequence to a video file;
  2. Using the sequence as a Shot Track in a Master Sequence;

It sounds like the cameras are always reliably moving, but we’re trying to nail down the piloting and possessing of the camera. If the shot is nested into a master sequence, you might need another Camera Cut Track. What you posted the screenshot of looks good.

When you render the sequence are you using Movie Render Queue?

1 Like

Exactly! “Piloting ang Posessing” is a much better way of describing the issue, thanks!
When i scroll the sequence as a Shot Track my viewport doesn’t switch to sequence camera view, but i can see the fade track working and all of my cameras moving around properly. That is the reason i used Camera Cuts track with lots of cameras instead.

I’m not sure if it is called Movie Render Queue, i use UE4.26 and it has that render movie button with an action cutboard icon on it.

Is there a reason you’re using 4.26? That is quite old by UE standards, and not really “supported”. 4.27 should have all the best qualities that you’d want from UE4 if there’s a reason you can’t upgrade to UE 5.3 (which I also recommend in 99% of cases)

MRQ was introduced in 4.26, but it’s a pretty early version. As of today, that’s the official way to render any content from sequencer.
If you are rendering a sequence that has a camera cut track (not just nested shots), I would expect the camera piloting to work. This is a little weird and there must be some little quirk somewhere. Make sure you try rendering the same sequence in a completely new template level to make sure nothing in your level is messing with it.

I converted all the cameras in my sequence to spawnable and it worked - the view is now properly piloted according to animated cameras when capturing video. I still can’t figure out why it didn’t work the way i expected in the first place, so i will call this issue 50% resolved.

I know UE5 is incredibly(!!!) powerful, i just don’t think my outdated rig will handle it well, so i feel like i’m 1000% fine with UE4, and yes i’ll update to 4.27 as you recommended, thanks!

Oh, i’ve been looking for this pesky quirk for about 5 days or so))) and i have two interesting things to mention here:

1. As an experiment i made a copy of the Level Sequence and replaced all cameras in the CameraCut track with regular cameras (not Cinematic Camera Actors) and the piloting worked but only for some of them and it looked kind of random. I still have no idea why it didn’t affect all of the cameras (proper naming, proper binding, same properties, same level, same sequence, same CameraCut track)
  2. I was following the exact same workflow i used in my previous projects i made in UE4.22 where camera piloting and video capturing worked just fine.

I’ll post an update if manage to find the quirk.
Thank You so much for your advices and suggestions!