Nightfall Guardian : Enchanted Forest _ Unreal Engine 3D Art _ By Essam Awad

Hello guys, I’m happy to share my first artwork with Unreal Engine that I can call complete.
Comments and criticism are welcome.

For more work and portfolio please visit my website at :

4 Likes

Hi there @Essamozy,

Welcome to the Unreal Engine forums! :slight_smile: It’s always nice to see a new face!

I adore the contrast between the warmth of the torches and the coldness of the cloudy night sky. Plus, any scene that contains a weeping willow is automatically a masterpiece. Super great work! What inspired this project specifically, besides a rad looking stone-faced guardian?

1 Like

Hello my friend, thank you so much for your answer, I truly appreciate it.
I love weeping willows too, I bought this tree from SpeedTree just for this scene.

This project story is so simple, I was at work, and one of my friends there drew this face on a sheet of paper as a doodle, and when I saw it, I instantly imagined this environment.

So I asked him to give me the sketch with the intention to bring it to life one day, this was in 2009 btw.

Just two weeks ago I remembered it, so I did the modeling in Max, then in Zbrush I gave it more details, and the final destination was in Substance Painter.
Then Unreal Engine for the environment. And finally, DaVinci Resolve for post production and editing.

Thanks again, and please feel free to ask any questions :slightly_smiling_face:.

1 Like

Oh wow! You modeled the statue? That’s incredible. :smiley: Glad I know that, made the project even more awesome!

1 Like

Thank you so much, you sir really lift my spirit. :grinning:

1 Like

That scene looks very nice, the rock, trees, lighting, I like it :+1:t2:, reminds me of skyrim, was it inspired by it?

1 Like

Thanks my friend, I love Skyrim so much, but no, It wasn’t inspired by it :grinning:

1 Like

Hi there @Essamozy! Welcome to posting with us here on the forums!

I will say, the details you’ve incorporated into this feels truly like it can be mystical and also an easter egg amongst many games. The foliage stands out and the amazing texturing with how the stone looks properly aged but not all of the old chisel marks have been washed away.

If I may ask, how long did this take you to complete?

1 Like

Hello, It is my pleasure that you took the time to add your comment, and I really appreciate your kind words, thank you so much.
As for your question, it took me 3 days, about 10 hours of work per day.
Please feel free to ask me anything, I will gladly answer your questions.
Thanks again, and have a good night sir.

Hello again @Essamozy !

First off, wow! That’s some intense dedication, I hope you got plenty of rest and water after working so diligently on this project!

Secondly, I was looking over the scene and noticed that there was a willow tree amidst all of the other scenery particularly close. Is this to give a hint to the type of environment our guardian friend is in or was it added for the additional mystical enchantment vibes?

1 Like

Hello,

Thank you for your kind words :slightly_smiling_face:

Regarding the weeping willow tree, I really love this species of trees, and I thought it would be suitable for the ambience. For me, the grim face of the sculpture, the soundtrack , the sound effects and the night atmosphere had to be matching, they all add to the mystical vibe if I may use your words.
I did not give too much thought about the whereabouts of the scene and what kind of tree species should I use, nor I made any study for that.
So in short, all the elements were just to add to the vibe I had in mind before working.

Thank you again, and have a good afternoon !

1 Like

Hello there @Essamozy !

I totally understand the ambience you mean. I am biased to willows myself as they are quite beautiful, strong, and enchanting trees for scenes like this. I always like asking environmental questions because I love to hear the creator’s thoughts during creation or if it’s meant to be left a little open.

It’s still a very wonderful project and I thank you for responding to me in kind! I hope you have a lovely rest of your evening.

1 Like

Thanks my friend, please never hesitate to ask me any questions.
The best projects I did in my life (for me at least) are the ones that I had a visions and feelings about it before creating it, especially environmental visions, and also, the ones that I have complete freedom to art direct, and there is no boss to tell me what to do or not to do :grinning:, this project is actually one of them !

1 Like