Niagara Plugin doesn't work with solped faces

Hi,

i have a problem with the Niagara Plugin. In my case the fluid doesn’t flows correctly down a sloped face.
I can not figure it out why the fluid dont accept the collision of my mesh correctly.
I used the default ThirdPersonMap and the SM_Ramp2 with the advanced tag “collider” for the Plugin. But it doesn’t work.
All other cubes work perfectly and the particles flows over the edge.

I hope you can help me out with this problem
I also changed the mesh collision from project default to use Complex Collision As Simple but it doesnt work either.

Hello,
I took a look at your example and was able to get the same result if I switched off the Use Mesh Distance Fields option in the emitter Summary:

It is recommended that you keep that option checked to give the most accurate collision response for static meshes.
At the moment the fluids are not able to query convex hulls so default to the closest capsule representation, in this case, a box. Querying the mesh distance field fixes this.

Apologies for the late response. Notifications are sometimes a little hard to track down for me at the moment.

Hi Dan,

thx for your response, i fixed my issue it was the scalability. I had it always on low and so the mesh distance fields didnt show up and the fluid did not work properly.
But now I have another issue and I hope you can help me out with this.
When I import static meshes from Blender into Unreal and set the distance field resolution on high, and combine them in the editor (more than one mesh, all have the advanced tag “collider”) the Niagara Fluid falls through and doesnt care about the tag. When I move the walls to the side the collision works perfectly for the floor.

I dont know why there is a problem when I combine the two mehes and until now I couldnt figure it out.
Why the Niagra Fluids flows through thin walls? I’ve got the issue when using static meshes and combine them. Why this dont happen with Landscapes? They are only a field of triangles and no volume. Is there an option in the niagara system to control the thickness of the walls or the diffusion through static meshes and set them to false?

If this dont work is there a way to give the static mesh the properties of a landscape so the fluid flows perfectly without losing any particles? Can I convert a static mesh combination into a landscape so the fluid flows in there? Or is there any other solution to fix this issue?

I’ve added the mesh distance fields view, the floor is with 10000 Resolution Scale and the both side walls have 100 Resolution Scale, is there a way to improve the distance fields or is this enough for the fluid? The walls are one static mesh could this be the problem?

If you need more information, just ask :slight_smile:

Hi!

In general, for a mesh distance field to be generated it needs volume. You are correct in presuming this is the issue.

I’m not sure it’s possible to convert a static mesh to a landscape.

You could try extruding the faces on your static meshes to give them volume. The editor modeling tools (you’ll need to load the plugin) has an extrude option under the Triangle Edit tool.

Good luck!

Dan.

Hi Dan,

I tried your solution but unfortunatly it doesnt work. I’ve got still the same issue. I tried also to convert the extrude meshes in blocking volumes and again back to static meshes. I dont know why the fluid ignores the floor when i combine them.
You can look in my other topic to understand the problem just search for Niagara Plugin broke simulation between meshes. There you can find another example with the default niagara fluid system of the contentexample project. I tried also the converting method in this project and my 2 meshes react different as before. Now only 1 have the perfect collision with the Fluid the duplicate mesh will ignore the Fluid completely anywhere the distance between them is little or large.
And the default meshes of the project still work.

Hope you still can help me out :slight_smile:

Thx for your response

Hi,

I also tried only 3D Assets from QuixelBridge (this time a Donut) and it works perfectly fine as I set the mesh distance field resolution scale to 100. I just added the donut to my project and it works.
I cant find the importing problem with my blender files. Is there a possible solution to import the mesh from blender in unreal like QuixelBridge?
I also prepare my blender files with the addon Make Manifold (3D Print) in Blender so I already import Volumes and not just faces.

Where is the difference between my import and the adding from Quixel?

When working with signed distance fields you will often need to skin your geometry so there are no internal faces. It is hard for the algorithm to figure out what is inside or outside a collection of pieces like the above.

One way to achieve this is to perform a boolean union on your source geometry before bringing it into the engine. If you want to clean up the geometry inside the engine, try the editor modelling tools (it’s a plugin you will need to load).

You can also select your geometry and use the Merge Actors tool (try the Approximate mode) which will generate new geometry based on your collection.

Hi Dan,

thanks for your response, how can i clean up my meshes with the modelling tool with Unreal Engine?
The problem with merging the actors together is, that the resolution of the mesh distance field will be too bad, so I cant use this option.

Is this the reason for my current problem that on the MDF Resolution 1,0 it works, but when i increase the Resolution Scale to 100, my Fluid flows through my mesh?
I need the MDF on 100 Resolution Scale, thats my problem.

Hope you get this Qustion and you can help me out :slight_smile: