News and Community Spotlight | June 30, 2022

NEWS

Animation Sizzle Reel 2022 | Unreal Engine

If you’ve been toying with the idea of trying real-time animation, this is the week for you. We’re exploring this exciting new era with The Future of Animation, a celebration jam-packed with real-time techniques, insider stories, and case studies

Download the Animation Field Guide

Download and get started today with the 100+ page guide that features interviews with Sony Pictures Imageworks, Reel FX, Spire Animation Studios, BRON Digital, over 30 artists, producers, and pipeline experts!

How Sony Pictures Imageworks created a real-time thriller for Netflix’s Love, Death + Robots

Would you change a pipeline that’s been working for over 25 years? Sony Pictures Imageworks did just that to deliver a short for the latest season of Netflix’s Love, Death + Robots.

No render farm required: How Untold Studios made an animated short in the cloud

We recently spoke with Untold Studies not only on their fascinating, unique style of animation, but on how they created an entire animated short in the cloud—no high-spec computers necessary! Explore the benefits of real-time development in the cloud and how receiving an Epic Megagrant helped them propel their cloud-based pipeline for their upcoming film, Malanca.

Preymaker debuts new real-time short trailer for Blue (and tells us how they made it

For more cloud-based workflow inspiration, we spoke to Epic MegaGrant recipient Preymaker, a global team of award-winning creative artists, technologists, and producers. They detail the production of Blue–a tale of a young girl who looks up to the stars and wonders if we will ever get to explore the worlds beyond.

The path to sustainable animation with Mush-Mush & the Mushables

Learn how UE’s real-time capabilities supercharged the creative process and reduced the carbon footprint of production during development of La Cabane’s charmingly cute children’s show, ‘Mush-Mush & the Mushables’. With their rendering time down 90%, they were still able to push the visual quality further while preserving the look of the show–let’s say, they have mush hope for the future.

Virtual production conjures up excitement for Diablo Immortal

Demons, wizards, developers, barbarians—ready yourselves! Impossible Objects combined hybrid virtual production, live-action, and full in-engine visualization to bring this epic battle to life in miniature on the commercial for the new mobile Diablo game. Find out how real-time workflows in Unreal Engine slashed the project timeline by half and how MetaHuman was used.

Summer of Unreal Bootcamp 2022—applications open now

All these projects are evidence that real-time animation is no longer just a pipe dream; it’s getting worked into pipelines right and left! Are you wondering how you can get started? For animators living in Europe, Africa, and the Middle East, the answer is the Summer of Unreal 2022, a four-week online bootcamp led by Unreal Authorized Training Partner INCAS Training. It’s free, and classes start on Monday, July 25.

Community Spotlights

Rock Bottom [UE5]

Utilizing Megascans and foliage from the Rural Australia Pack, Noah Baumann has created this rocking scene from a concept by Cupoi. Whether you’re on land or sea, we think you’ll agree this should be shipped!

Big Earth

Dazzling Biomes, beautiful natural environments, and restoring Humankind’s future. Big Earth by PlayPlay Studies takes place in a post-apocalyptic future where Earth’s resources have been consumed. Become the last chance to save Earth as the scientific protagonist, whose mission it is to recover capsules containing seeds and the energy needed to save the future, all while traversing environments and puzzles.

Lightyears from Home

In this story-based sci-fi metroidvania, developed by award-winning composer Denny Schneidemesser, take on the role of an engineer following clues to an unknown galaxy in search of someone who has long gone missing. Face off against the icy planet’s wildlife and the environment on your journey of exploration in ‘Lightyears from Home’.

5 Likes

Great read! Insightful and useful.

1 Like

Hey hey! I really want to join up, but the bootcamp is during day time between 9am and 4pm (UK).
But I am working in the daytime! Do I have any other options to join the bootcamp? I am gutted!!!

Hello I am in the US and am unable to find a link to actually apply for the 2022 Bootcamp. Does anyone have a direct link for english? I couldnt find anything on the CGSpectrum site. Ty <3