Newbie question – Hardware setup UE4

Hi – I would like to hear your opinions about a hardware system I’m going to buy.

I’m totally new to game design/programming, working with UE4 for about two weeks … made my first steps in building landscapes, buildings and level design. For my project I entend to work with Magic Map Maker (for example) – on my late 2015 iMac it’s nothing but frustrating (crashes, lags). I built a new system online and would like you to share your opinions if it is sufficient to work with. My project is a bit more complex, medium huge, and the hardware system should cope with it.

This is my intended >>> hardware setup

In case this is seen as advertising here the core facts:
Processor: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, 12x 3800 MHz
Mainboard: ASUS ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WiFi)
RAM: 32 GB DDR4-RAM, Dual Channel (2x 16 GB), 3200 MHz, Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO
SSD: 1000 GB M.2 PCIe SSD Corsair Force MP600 (read/write: max. 4950 MB/s | 4250 MB/s)
Graphic adapter: ASUS GeForce RTX 3080, ASUS ROG-STRIX-RTX3080-10G-GAMING, 10 GB GDDR6X

I would really appreciate your opinions if this setup is enough. Thank you.

Not sure, because you listed 3080 twice, get single card.
And get 2 ssd drives, one for system and games second just for unreal, some HDD for backups as SSD will fail at some point, and some external USB drive for backups (again).

But if you can i suggest waiting few months for 3080TI or 3080 20gb version and new AMD cpus.
There is competition, prices will drop.

Thank you very much for your reply – it is only one RTX 3080. And thanks again for your hint with double SSD.
So the RTX 3080 10GB is not sufficient? An upgrade to **NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090, 24 GB GDDR6X **would do the magic?

Thank you very much for your insights – I decided to add another SSD and changed the motherboard to MSI MPG X570 GAMING PRO CARBON WIFI. I think I will stick with **ASUS GeForce RTX 3080 **… reading across many posts make me believe this one should have enough power for my project. Thanks for your replies :slight_smile:

The 3080 should be great for development, remember if you’re making a game that most of your audience won’t be using something that powerful.